9 - Let's go somewhere

You want this moment to keep playing in a constant loop. You want to keep twirling Kurapika's soft hair between your fingertips as he gains comfort in your grasp. You savor every second. The way his arms are gripped tight around your waist makes you feel loved, and the way his head is nestled on your midsection, moving slightly every time he tightens his grip around you was perfect.

Your thoughts are interrupted by reality striking you in the face, and you realize that what was happening was premature. Whether you liked it or not wasn't the issue; of course you liked it. The problem was that no matter how much you wanted to throw caution to the wind and grow closer, a tiny part of you still resented him for hating your sister.

You take a sudden pause in the hair-playing to ask a question that you feel needs to be answered. "Kurapika, does this feel wrong?"

The blonde buries his head deeper into your shirt, and your skin feels the sensation of a smile taking form on his face "I feel just fine."

"Yeah I like this a lot actually," you reply. He loosens his grip a bit and stands up; using your shoulders to stabilize himself.

I wish I knew how to go about this. I hope I didn't make things awkward

As he stands up all the way, you look at his eyes and see tears trickling down his cheeks. You then look down at your shirt and notice vague wet splotches on the spot he was resting his head. This was different from when the tears had merely formed. He had finally let his emotions release completely.

How didn't I notice?

"Are you okay?"

"Sorry. I didn't mean to get your shirt wet. I guess in the back of my head I knew you wouldn't mind."

Of course I don't mind

"Oh my God don't worry about it at all! You just needed a good cry, that's all. I'm just surprised I didn't notice, or I would've ve tried to comfort you even more."

"Y/n, you're so..." his words were cut off with hesitation

"What?"

"I don't know... You're... Nevermind. What I'm trying to say is you're really nice, and I'm glad I met you. You're a really good friend."

You wanted to know what he was going to say originally, but you left that thought for another time. Something else was bothering you. For some reason, those kind words with good intentions... hurt you. He called you a good friend, but you wanted to be more than friends. This person was special, and you needed to figure out why you felt that you needed him so badly.

"I feel the same! And how about we ditch the card game? I kinda changed my mind about staying in the room today and I think we should go somewhere. Whadya think?"

The blonde thought for a brief moment and shrugged. "Sure, why not?"

"Cool! I remember that you have to lay low cus of the troupe and everything so how about we just stick to the lobby?"

"Oh yeah, I do have to lay low don't I? God, my head's all over the place these days. The lobby sounds good."

"Okay, we should probably get ready then."

Kurapika slips away from you and makes his way to his dresser. He rummages through his clothes in such a graceful manner - just like he does everything else. He grabs his neatly folded shirts from the top layer of clothing in the middle-right drawer, and places them to his side, digging to the bottom in search of a proper shirt to wear in front of wealthy snobs in the lobby. With a look of satisfaction sweeping his face, he pulls out a white dress shirt with a collar.

"There you are." He mumbles under his breath, holding the shirt up with a hand at each shoulder, letting it unfold as he raises it higher.

Shit. I forgot that the only thing I have to wear is that damn dress in the closet. What was I thinking buying something like that?

"I think I've got a black suit hanging up in the closet to go over this. I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want to underdress in front of those rich posers downstairs. Every one of them has too much money for their own good. I wouldn't give a care in the world what they thought about me if they had less power, but unfortunately, power can slip into the wrong hands at times."

You look at him with your head slightly tilted

"Yeah, I'm sure that'll look great! Are you done with your speech?"

He darts his eyes at you with his lips slightly parted, followed by a small grin.

"Yes smartass, I suppose I just got carried away."

Your eyes widen. "OoOoh scary, I didn't know swear words were in your vocabulary, Mr. Formal," you remark in a sarcastic tone

"Oh hush."

You both chuckle at the way he ended your playful little conversation. Kurapika heads to his closet to grab the rest of his outfit, and you follow in search of your red dress. He grabs his suit off the hanger next to your dress and slides into the bathroom to change.

Carefully gliding your silky dress off the hanger, You decide to shout something pretty bold.

"Kurapika!"

His muffled voice sneaks past the door. "Yes?"

"Do you drink?"

"Occasionally... why?"

"Well... I just thought it'd be funny if we got drunk off our asses on expensive wine just to spite those rich assholes." You suggest

I kinda regret saying that

"Y/n...that sounds..."

You cut him off in hopes to change his mind before he has more time to think.

"Yeah yeah, I know. It sounds risky, we don't know who could be there, blah blah blah. I already know what you were gonna say"

"Actually yes... that's exactly what I was going to say."The blonde says, surprised

"Can you just forget about being perfect for one day? Let's have some fun!" A slight sigh escapes your mouth. "You could definitely use some... based on everything you've told me."

He takes a brief pause to answer, thinking. "Alright fine... but we can't buy anything too crazy... I'm not made of money."

You nearly jump for joy when Kurapika agrees to let loose

"I won't go overboard I promise!"