8 - Vulnerability

(Time skip to after the fight. Kurapika returns to the hotel room at about midnight)

Trying to stop worrying about Kurapika, you hear a small scratching sound coming from the door.

Thank god he's ok... that must be the keycard

The door opens almost silently; he must assume you're asleep and doesn't want to wake you. You hear the lock on the door click into place, and Kurapika whispers, "shit!" into the palm of his hand.

He decides to check if you're sleeping or not

"Y/n... Y/n!~" he whisper yells from across the room

You try to stay completely still, focusing on making your breathing look natural and sunken.

You hear Kurapika's shuffling footsteps make their way to his bed, followed by the sound of his clothing dropping to the floor. His comforter rustles against the sheets as he crawls into bed. He releases a faint sigh.

Troubling made-up scenarios cloud your mind, making it seemingly impossible to get any sleep.

Is he hurt?...He came back, so that means he must've won... Is he asleep?

You're not sure how much time had passed since he got back. The same worrying recycled thoughts bouncing off the walls of your head were keeping you up. You took some deep breaths.

Inhale... exhale... Inhale... exhale....

Your eyes started to feel heavy, and the thoughts started to fade...

(Morning: 7 am)

The hum of the shower running wakes you up. You start your day with a satisfying stretch and make your way to the mini-fridge, digging to find anything that would satisfy you. Sadly, all that was in there was a fairly bruised Granny Smith apple. You figure you might as well eat it; you don't want to pester Kurapika about room service after his long night.

Kurapika steps out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his lower body, his upper body exposed. He makes his way to the dresser in the corner, and you can't help but stare at his slender and toned figure.

 He makes his way to the dresser in the corner, and you can't help but stare at his slender and toned figure

"Morning y/n," he mumbles in a tired voice while picking out his outfit for the day.

"Hey, I didn't even notice you come home last night. Uhh... How'd the whole killing Uvogin thing go?" you say with a playful pep in your voice

"Jeez y/n, way to be blunt... It went great. I won, and I buried him right afterward. It felt great, to be honest. At least now, one of those damned members is chained to hell."

"You don't sound too chipper. You sure you're okay?"

"Well, the only way I can explain how I'm feeling right now is... (drowning in an indescribable emptiness) (IM SORRY I HAD TO) a bit unsatisfied, I guess. I mean, yes... It felt good and all to get revenge, but it's still not enough. I need to get Chrollo."

"One step at a time," you say with a sympathetic smile

"Anyways, y/n, do you want to just hang out here today? I don't really know what else to do other than that. I need to take a break from all the stress and violence, and your presence puts me at ease." he says as he slips his shirt on over his head.

A wide grin spreads across your face. "Aww, that's so cheesy; I love it,"

You both make your way to the small couch in the lounging area, and Kurapika pulls out a deck of cards and chuckles a bit

"What's so funny?"

His smile widens. "Oh nothing, these cards just remind me of someone."

God, you're perfect Kurapika

You chuckle just from seeing him happy. "Ok Mr. Mysterious," you remark in a sultry sarcastic tone, almost as if you're mocking some actor in a movie.

Kurapika's smile fades as he seems to get lost in thought. His emotions change so quickly sometimes, the guy can't catch a break.

He turns to you and bluntly asks, "Y/n, do you think I should be chained to hell as well?"

What kind of question is that?

"...What? Of course not. What made you think of something so out of place?"

His eyes tilted and were full of remorse. "I'm a killer. I killed someone. I know he was just a spider that needed to be punished for what he did to my clan, but I hate killing, no matter who it's done to or how it's done."

You stand up over him and put both hands on his shoulders, gripping them. "Are you listening to yourself? He is part of the reason you don't have anyone left...no one to go home to. You deserve this revenge, so take it with no shame! Make them regret their soulless acts. I support you all the way."

You could tell tears were forming in his eyes

He seems to be cheering up a bit. "How'd you get so good at pep talks?" he asks, placing his hand over yours.

"The mirror..."

Kurapika lets out a husky laugh. You begin laughing just from seeing him do it. Your voices briefly sync

Kurapika gets up from the couch and falls to the floor, kneeling. He wraps his arms around your waist, his head nestled on your stomach. He moves his hand further up his arm, gripping you tighter.

Oh my god, what's happening. Should I say something?

You figure he grabbed you in hopes you would reciprocate the intimacy. You place your fingers on his scalp and let his blonde locks flow through the spaces between your fingers, repeating the cycle from the roots to the tip of his hairs.

"Y/n, I'm not great with feelings, and this may sound weird and premature, but the rage in my heart settles when I'm with you. I don't feel the anger coursing through my body. The only other person I've met who can calm me like that is Melody, but in order to, she has to play her flute. All that you need to do is look at me, and those bad feelings settle." He explains, with a delicate and genuine sound to his voice

You take a quick break from touching his hair. "I uhh, I'm not sure what to say, Kurapika , but I'm glad I can help you in that way. I never expected to get so close to you so quickly." You continue to play with his hair after that, twirling the strands with your pointer finger

"Me either, but I quite like it." he whispers, muffled by your shirt

(Hey guys :) I know I've said this wayyy too many times, but lemme know if you like the pacing of this story so far! Should I go faster or slower? I'm open to any criticism <3)