Chapter 12:

Gold got off a bus, cane in hand resting his injured leg. The purring of cars and the chatter of the crowd made him wince, the man not used to such commotion. There was always a solemn silence in the town of Storybrooke except when a monster would appear wherever any other problem appeared.

The Dark One sighed and strolled down the sidewalk, walking between passers-by, reaching his destination.

He was now in front of a shabby apartment, the facade weathered and pushed open the heavy creaking door to find himself in front of a staircase.  Gold began to climb it despite the pain rising in his injured leg.

After reaching the last step, the man approached the fourth door on his right and knocked.

"Who is here?" a sleepy voice whispered.

"You know that very well," Gold replied.

It was then that the door swung open, revealing a short gray haired man wearing a bathrobe. His face was drawn by dark circles and his features sagging as if he hadn't slept all night.

"Rumplestiltskin..." whispered the man.

"It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

The man nodded and let the Dark One enter his apartment. He sat down in an armchair and stroked the golden ring on his index finger.

"What do you want?" the man asked.

"I need your help, Ohtar," Gold informed him.

The man named Ohtar smiled and stared at him.

"The Dark One needs my help? This is the first time I hear this!"

Gold sighed, irritated.

"No need to exaggerate, Ohtar. The last time we saw each other, I was the one who helped you now."

"But last time I also helped you with the item you asked for," Ohtar said.

"Maybe, but you didn't give it to me. That's why I'm here. I'd like to get it back," Gold informed him.

His friend got up, took a cup and poured himself some tea in it, which he drank, sitting down again.

"I have a question: how did you get out of town? I thought no one could."

"I used a vial that retains the memory I poured over this," Gold replied.

Rumple pointed to the beige shawl around his neck.

"It was my son's shawl... Milah sewed it for him..." he whispered.

Ohtar laughed and the wizard straightened up, shook his head.

"We're not here to talk about that! Now give me what I came for," he ordered, coming to his senses.

"I didn't know the Dark One was so sentimental..." laughed the man.

Rumplestiltskin sighed. He gritted his teeth and stared at his friend threateningly.

"To retrieve this item, I was counting on the author's help so that he could make it appear in my hands but it is no longer... so give it to me, please."

Ohtar sighed.

"I don't have it... someone took it from me. When I went to look for it, I was discovered and she stole it from me. Then Regina got ahead of you by casting the Dark Curse and everyone disappeared to reappear in Storybrooke under the influence of the curse but I having kept my memories thanks to you, I fled here to New York," explained the man.

"So where is he?" Gold asked worriedly.

His friend shrugged.

"You were right on one point, Rumplestiltskin: you should not use it in the Enchanted Forest since in the end, you need it today."

"I'm always right. And with or without your help, I'll find this item. The next full moon is in nineteen days, I have to hurry," Gold said.

"Maybe he's in Storybrooke but you haven't found him yet. She's probably hiding it in a top secret place," Ohtar whispered.

The Dark One nodded, puzzled.

"Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for."

{ At Storybrooke }

Belle was in the shop behind the counter. The door slammed, the bell rang, and Emma and Hook entered the store.

"Belle, are you okay?" Emma asked worriedly.

The young woman nodded.

"I don't understand why Rumple left town..." Belle sighed.

"The Crocodile gave you his dagger, you just have to force him back!" exclaimed Hook.

"No way! And anyway, if he's out of town, I can't use the dagger where he is. He's in a world without magic," the princess reminded us.

"She's right. We can only wait for him to come back and hope he hasn't done anything wrong," Emma sighed.