March

Charlie: Yale? Yale?

I had completely zoned out. I was drowning in my thoughts.

Yale: I can't do this.

I ran away from the altar.
_________________________________
It's March now.

Charlie and I both turned 18 so we could legally get married. We wanted it to be simple. Me, him, Owen and Sienna (they were both 18 as well so they qualified as witnesses.) We would legally get married, have the baby, then get have an actual wedding when we were older. It was my wedding
day— and I was wearing JEANS. I couldn't go through with it. I couldn't say I do.

Charlie: Yale what's going on?
Yale: I can't marry you.
Charlie: Thank god!

He sat down and held my hand.

Yale: You don't want to get married either?
Charlie: Not really. I thought it would make having a baby easier but it doesn't really change anything.
Yale: Charlie what's the point? I love you, you love me. We don't need a piece of paper to dictate that. A wedding is supposed to celebrate two people that love each other remaining together for the rest of their lives. That's not what this is.

Sienna and Owen ran into the back room.

Sienna: What's going on? This priest says you have like 4 minutes to get married or he isn't doing it.
Owen: He's kind of an asshole...
Sienna: He smells like whiskey...

Charlie looked back at me.

Charlie: You deserve better than this. You deserve a real wedding with a goddamn priest who isn't half dead!
Yale: So you want to wait?
Charlie: Yes.
Owen: So no wedding?
Charlie: No wedding buddy.
Owen: Good because pastor mccormick passed out.
_______________________________
When we got back to Charlie's house, Ellie was sitting at the kitchen table.

They had recently gotten their house refurnished trying to replace all of the things that were stolen. Charlie's dad was out because they believe they might've found Izzy. Hopefully it's her.

Ellie: Hi.
Charlie: So you're talking to me now?
Ellie: I'm over my rebellious phase, I kind of miss speaking.
Yale: Have you talked to Mai?
Ellie: Nope. She isn't answering my calls.

Maitreyi took Will's move extra hard but rumor has it, he'll be back for prom.

Sienna: Hey um I have to go, Abby invited me to a dinner with her parents.
Yale: Do you have your key?
Sienna: Of course.

Sienna's mom gave her permission to move in with me. I think she might be warming up to the idea of her being a lesbian.

Yale: Have fuuuunnnn
Sienna: Byeeee
Charlie: You wanna stay overnight?
Yale: I can't, my mom's in town and she wants to talk about the baby.
Charlie: oh yeah well I hope that goes well.

I grabbed my car keys and started to head out the door.

Charlie: And uh Yale?
Yale: What's up?

He walked towards me and grabbed my waist.

Charlie: I know there's a lot going on right now and a lot of stuff has changed this year.
Yale: Yeah.
Charlie: I think we could be really great parents but we haven't really had time to work on us. Sooo

He started the shift around like he was nervous. I haven't seen Charlie nervous to ask me something in years. I forgot how cute it was.

Charlie: I wanna have a date night.
Yale: Okay
Charlie: umm alright how's Tuesday?
Yale: We have parenting class on Tuesday.
Charlie: Parenting class is on Thursday.
Yale: Birthing class is on Thursday.
Owen: Why do you need a birthing class?
Ellie: For birth dumbass.
Owen: You said your rebellious phase was over, stop being so mean.

Owen jokingly made a frowny face and stomped upstairs.

Yale: Wednesday?
Charlie: I have tutoring on Wednesdays. I need to pass physics. Friday?
Yale: I have to work.
Charlie: Okay..
Yale: Wow. The baby isn't even here yet and we're already too busy.
Charlie: I could never be too busy for you. We'll make this work.

Charlie took a deep breath and put my hair behind my ear.

Charlie: Tutoring ends at 5:00, I will pick you up Wednesday night for our date at 6:00.
Yale: What are we doing?
Charlie: It's a surprise. Now get out!
Yale: Oooo pushy!
Charlie: I love you.

He gave me a peck on the lips.

Yale: I love you!
_____Wednesday__________________
Charlie's POV
I was sitting in tutoring waiting for Mr Finklefine to finish speaking. God that guy could talk. It was 5:50 and he didn't see to be wrapping it up. I still needed to get home, take a shower, make sure the **************** was ready for Yale and pick her up before 6.

Mr Finklefine: Mr Gillespie! You haven't answered any questions today. Do you have any ideas?
Charlie: Um what?
Annie: He knows nothing. As per usual.
Charlie: Annie if you're so smart, why are you here?
Annie: I like it sit down and watch the dumb monkeys trying to get into Dartmouth attempt to learn things they'll never understand. It makes me feel good about myself.
Charlie: Good thing I'm trying to get into Columbia.
Annie: Columbia? I got my letter like a week ago.
Charlie: Yale and I didn't get letters.
Annie: Yale Meguin?
Charlie: No other Yale. Yes Yale Meguin.
Annie: Oh that girl's definitely gonna get one.. you on the other hand.
Charlie: What about me?
Annie: Well I'm sure your dad can get you a spot.
Charlie: What's that supposed to mean?
Annie: Your dad can pay to get you a spot.
Charlie: That's unethical. Has anyone else at our school gotten in?
Annie: Ummm yeah me and that trailer trash Vinnie Hacker did.
Charlie: Vinnie?
Annie: Yeah! Can you believe it? I heard he got into NYU, Michigan AND Penn state. Penn state rejected me and they took him? This is ridiculous.
Charlie: I have to go.
Mr Finklefine: Mr Gillespie! I'm not done speaking!
_______________________________
After going home and changing, I picked Yale up.

She was wearing a gorgeous pink floral dress with strappy heels and a white cardigan. She looked beautiful. That shade of pink went perfectly with her hair. She was perfect.

Yale: Charlie. Guess what?
Charlie: What?

She pulled an envelope out of her purse.

Yale: Columbia.
Charlie: Wow. Have you opened it?
Yale: No I'm waiting for you. We're gonna open them together. But... it's thick Charlie. I mean can you imagine? You and me in New york together. We could take cute little corny photos with our baby in front of lady liberty— and wear pretentious fake glasses all the time just because we can.

I looked down at my pants.

Yale: Why the sad face bubbs?
Charlie: I uh...I haven't gotten one yet.
Yale: That means nothing! It could've gotten lost in the mail. Charlie you'll get one.
Charlie: Can we just stop with college talk for tonight?
Yale: Of course.
Charlie: And Yale?
Yale: Yes Charlie
Charlie: You look beautiful.
Yale: You look beautifuler-er-er

Her cute made up words made me blush. I jokingly snatched the letter from her.

Charlie: You sure as hell aren't getting into Columbia with that vocabulary...