Chapter 3: We're Just Two Geniuses With Different Lives

It had been a day since I last saw Spencer in person, he was stuck in my head. Between him and I with work we had zero time for coffee.
"Happy birthday!" Meredith yelled in my ear. I woke up startled. "Say happy birthday to auntie Lexie." Meredith said in a baby voice to her newly adopted daughter Zola. "Thanks mer." I chuckled. "I got you a candy bar in case you get nervous." Meredith winked. "Nervous? Why? All I'm doing is working." I said confused. She shrugged suspiciously and walked towards her room.  I got dressed and walked down the stairs in a rush.
Being late is definitely not an option for me considering the last two days. "Can I ride with you.." I said without looking up. "Sure, Dr. Grey." Spencer smiled with sunflowers in his hand. "What are you doing here?" I laughed. "Surprise!" Meredith and Derek cheesed. "What? I have work!" I don't even know why I tried to defend it. I wanted to be with Spencer. "Too late, told Richard to let you have a day off and I covered all your patients." Derek smirked. "Sneaky." "Ready to go?" Spencer asked nervously. I nodded my head and rushed out the door. We started driving then we finally reached the restaurant. We were eating Italian, which was my favorite. "How'd you know it was my birthday and did Meredith call you?" I asked. "Meredith found my number and told me. Which I thank her for since I'm able to be with you before I leave." Spencer said with a deep breath. "Wait your team isn't from Washington?" "No, Virginia. We're only in Seattle for a case." He said without looking away from the road. "Oh, do you know how long you'll be here?" I asked holding back the sadness that had just taken over my body. "Few days maybe. I have the chance to go back home for a few days. But I wanted to stay to make sure that the unsub doesn't try anything." He tried to convince. "Really?" I said unconvinced. "Fine. When I met you I had finally felt some happiness again in my life. Knowing that you live here and I live there just makes me feel upset. Not that we are dating but I know it'll be upsetting to know what I'm leaving behind." He sighed. "You're right. We aren't dating so it's weird to be like this." I looked at him. "Right." He frowned. "Which is why I want to be in a relationship." I spoke without hesitation. He cleared his throat. "I am so sorry, I don't know where that came from." I started apologizing frantically. "Lexie Grey, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked breathless. "Yes I will, Dr. Reid." I smiled. We both felt relief that we felt the same way. It's not every day you meet the person who's almost everything you are. He was the other half of me. Sure Mark and I and were considered soulmates but he just had so much going is life.
It's different with Spencer, my judgement clouded me moreover then it should've.
"So what would you like to do next." Spencer asked walking while holding my hand.
"Whatever you want to do." I smiled. He looked at me annoyed. I returned his look before we both started laughing. "Well we've spent half the day talking in the restaurant and walking, I'm sure later in the night we'll be in your room." He winked. I batted my eyelashes and blushed. "Is this technically our first date?" I asked. "I suppose, usually what we did when I first met you is what normal couples do 2 dates away." He chuckled. "Well we aren't a normal couple. We're just two geniuses with different lives." I joked.
——————-
The day went by fast, we ended up in Joe's Bar before we went back to Merediths. "Do you think Meredith and her husband would mind if I stayed with you while I'm here? I think it's pointless to have a hotel since the last 3 days I've ended up in your room." He asked nervously. "I'm sure they wouldn't mind, she's happy I found someone new." I added. "New? Did your last relationship end badly?" Suddenly he had become interested. "I had dated Dr. Sloan, aka Mark, him and Derek were friends before Derek's wife had been having an affair with Mark and once I started my internship he has become involved with me which caused issues, shortly he found out he had a daughter who was pregnant, I wasn't ready to become any form of parent and then he got his ex girlfriend pregnant while we were broken up. Instead of trying to fix things with me, he started dating another doctor." I had explained as much as I could in a short summary. "Well um that is very complicated." Spencer said shocked. "Now that I think about it, I'm glad he and I broke up. I wouldn't be here with you right now if we didn't." I smiled. "I love you." Spencer slurred. "We are both way too drunk to be having this conversation." I chuckled.
We went back to the house and "celebrated." Better then last time but a lady never tells. "I love you too." I whispered before drifting off to sleep.