part 11

The next day

Veronica's POV
its finally Friday! I went to my classes and immediately after school went to see Betty. Still not up, okay.

I stayed for a few hours. And if you're wondering what I was doing for those hours, I was doing homework, and on my phone, studying.

As time passes, I get more and more worried and scared and nervous, but I would also feel happy and sad. This is so many emotions at the same time to give me a panic attack. Then, there's stress because of school which makes it worse. I'm on my phone just sitting next to the bed. I looked her up and down, but something happened that I noticed when I looked down. Something...moved. I looked back up. I grabbed her hand and she squeezed it for like two seconds. I got up and walked out of the room to find the doctor. When I found her, I quickly walked up to her. she smiled. "hi!" "she moved". I said she nodded "okay let's go" we walked back into her room. Her eyes were still closed. She checks her pulse. "A strong heartbeat" she muttered. Then she grabbed her hand. Okay, I'm getting a little bit jealous over nothing. Nothing happened. "okay, nothing happened so I'm going to say it was just a reflex" I sighed sadly. "thanks for telling me though" she said. I just nodded.

I stayed just to see if something happened. Nothing did. I'm losing hope. I don't want to but I am. I keep telling myself something might change and she'll wake up, but something keeps telling me nothing will change and she'll never wake up.

It's now nine-thirty and I have to leave soon. I sighed and just sat doing nothing for a few minutes. I looked down. I'm still blaming myself for this. For not being a good friend. Or stopping her when I had the chance. "where am I?" I looked up and she was awake. "oh, my god Betty!" I almost yelled and hugged her. I sat back down "you're awake!" I said happily. "Yeah, umm how did I get here?" she asked. "Do you not remember?" I asked. "well, maybe try and jog some of my memory" she said. I laughed. "Right sorry. You were in a car crash about three months ago" "oh? Oh, yeah, I kind of remember that" "can I ask a question? If you remember that is", she nodded. "yeah, sure go ahead" I sighed. "Do you remember of you were drunk or not?" she sighed now. "well to be honest I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I was. It was a night out. It was a dumb for me to think to drive" she said. "no, the thing is your fine now" I said. I smiled and she smiled back. "hey, about our fights a few months back I'm sorry" I said really fast. "it's ju-" she cut me off. "it's fine. If anything, I should be sorry. I'm the one who started being annoying in the first place and I don't even know why" she said. "so, are we good again?" I asked. she nodded and smiled again. "Best friends" I smiled and hugged her back. "i have a question" she said as I pulled out of the hug. "yeah, what is it?" "was it just me? Or was there another car?" she asked, "there was another car" I told her. "oh, are they okay?" she asked. I smiled. "I'm pretty sure I'm okay" it was silent as she just stared at me. I say back down, again. I smiled at her. "Don't worry I'm fine" I reassured her. She nodded. "okay um what day is it?" she asked. "it's Friday, December 23" I told her. Her eyes widened. "what?" I nodded. "you're telling me I missed two months? Do - I what?" I could tell she was freaking out. I laughed a little. From the moment I saw her I knew she was going to be all school. "it's fine. I have all your work I could get for you in my bag. Besides, all the professors know your here" she sighed. "oh. Does my family and my friends know I'm here? Like do they know I'm in the hospital" I sighed and looked down. "yeah" "why do you say it like that?" I looked at her. I shrugged. "they never came did they?" I shook my head. "none of them?" I shook my head again. "not even Jughead?" I sighed again looked down at my hands. "no" I said and looked back at her. "I'm sorry" I said. "Don't be. They decided not to come and that's their fault" I nodded. "you've been crying" she said. "what?" I asked. "I didn't want to say anything before, but I can still see the tear stains on your face" I sighed. "yeah,yeah" "about me?" "the doctors kept telling me that you might never wake up" I told her" I told her. "well, I guess I'll be proving them wrong" I laughed and so did she. "you know" I started, but stopped. I don't think I should really say this aloud. "what?" she asked. I nodded my head. "nothing" "no what is it?" I sighed. "it's just great to see you smiling again. I didn't have a fun time with not being able to talk to anybody" I told her. She smiled and slightly hid her face in my hands. "why? Am I the only one who makes your day okay?" "mm yeah. But after we started fighting and then all this happened, I never really smiled a lot or was happy" she sighed. "yeah, the fighting part I'd understand. Why were we even fighting?" I shrugged. "I don't know" then the door opened. "oh, you're up?" the Doctor said. "now I'll just check a few things and I'll see when you can leave" she said and left. "I hope I can leave by tomorrow" she said. I laughed a little. "if you do you are going to be taking it slow for a while. You were in a coma for two months your head is probably still a little screwed up" she sighed. "So, will you help me with my homework?" I nodded. "sure" "great" The doctor came back in. "so, visiting hours are almost over, but I do have the discharge papers if you'd like to leave now" she nodded. "yes please" Betty said and I laughed at her. "what?" she asked. "nothing" I asked. She signed the papers all of that. "so, I have some pills for any pain that experience like a headache or maybe even nausea" "oh no, I'm good. I don't even need that" she said. I looked at her. "you sure? It would be beneficial to help you" "I'm good" she said. "here you go" Betty said and handing her the papers. She got out the bed. We left so she could get changed. I walked over to the doctor. "hey, can I speak to you for a moment?" I asked, she smiled and nodded. "sure, what is it?" she asked. "well, I was wondering if maybe I could take those pills for her just in case. She's a very complicated person so, maybe if I could just take for her just in case" she nodded. "well, we should really have her signature and consent, but you seem reliable so I'll let it slide just this once" she said and gave me the pills. I put them in my pocket and walked into Betty's room. "you good?" I asked, "yeah can we leave yet?" she asked. "well, if you'd hurry yeah" I said. "okay let's go" she said. As we left the hospital, I put my hands in my pocket and wrapped my hand around the pill bottle. I hope she won't get mad about this.

Once we got back to the dorm it was about ten – twenty. She yawned. "I think I'm going to go to bed" I nodded. "okay" I said. "hey, maybe tomorrow we can try and do something fun" she said. "anything you'd want" I told her. "thank you" she said and walked over to me. "I thought you were going to bed" I said and looked at my phone. "I am" "then go to bed. You look tired anyways" she sighed. "alright" she said and walked back to her room. I waited for her door to shut. I pulled out the pill bottle with her name on it. Elizabeth Cooper. Damnit! I shouldn't have done it.

I was just lying-in bed staring at the celling being bored and lonely. I still like her, and I still want to be with her. And I still know it's never going to happen. I just wish I could kiss her, at least once. Just one, maybe small kiss. It doesn't have to be anything at all. But just once. I eventually fell asleep. 

a/n book belongs to VUGHEADBITCHES