chapter 4: shifters

♪ Murders - Miracle Musical

~~~~~~~~~~~꧁꧂~~~~~~~~~~~

chapter 4: Shifters

I opened my office door and quietly hurried out. The familiar echo of my footsteps rang throughout the chilly stone hallway. I entered the cafeteria, put on my dark green cape, and adjusted the thick leather straps.

"Marlene?" A voice rang throughout my ears.

I turned around, and to my surprise, it was Hanji. "Hey.. Hanji" I awkwardly smiled.

"Where are you going? It's really early."

"I'm uh, just going out to walk around the city. I need a breath of fresh air." I came up with an excuse as to why I was leaving so early in the morning.

"Oh, you want me to come with?"

I laughed softly.

They furrowed their eyebrows.

Oh, they weren't joking.

"Oh! No, no, it's okay! I just want to spend some time alone." I  rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Hmm, okay. Please come back before our meeting though. It's an important one."

"Got it." I kissed their cheek and quickly exited headquarters.

I walked through the somewhat busy street. That's unusual, it's very early and yet, crowds of people are gathering around the city walkways. I turned right, towards an alleyway and into the buildings. I faced a worn out, maroon door , with a rusted, golden door knob. My hand reached up the door. Knocked twice, pause. Knocked once, pause. Knocked twice again. I heard shuffling from behind the door.

I pushed on the door as it slowly creaked open, and walked past the narrow hallway and to the empty living room.

"We've been waiting for you, Marlene."

"I know you were, Reiner."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Me and Reiner just joined the survey corps, how the hell did you manage to become captain?" Bertholdt frowned a little bit.

"You lazy asses waited to join though. I wasn't even part of the Shiganshina breaching. I got in as soon as we arrived." I shrugged, "Also, why did Annie join the military police?"

"That's why I called the meeting." Reiner scoffed.

"Okay, smartass, I didn't even notice you sent a signal until last night." I snapped.

"So, will Reiner explain the plan, or do I have to explain it?" Annie slid down the wall and situated herself on the floor, hugging her knees.

"I don't care, just hurry up." I sat across from her and sighed.