2.The Sorting Ceremony

They reached Hogwarts after some time. Rose had really enjoyed the journey; she and Lily got along like peanut butter and jelly and so did Roxanne and Sylvia. Now they were waiting in the small chamber for their sorting. Professor McGonagall came into the chamber carrying a list. She told them about house points as well as the 4 different house groups. Rose already had her fingers crossed for Gryffindor. It was supposed to be the best. She looked around and saw Remus standing with the boys Lily told them about. All though all of them were joking and laughing, she could tell they were nervous. She looked at Roxanne who was besides her and she squeezed her hand. Roxanne smiled. They went into the Great Hall and stood in a group. The first name to be called was Black, Sirius. He went up confidently, but his hands were shaking as he put the sorting hat on.

'Ah,' said the hat quietly so that only Sirius could hear him,' a Black,'

'not Slytherin,' said Sirius.

'a rebel,' said the hat satisfactorily,' you have some guts, boy.... can you live up to the Gryffindor name?'

'I can,' whispered Sirius. He wanted to yell it out.

'very well,' said the hat,' GRYFFINDOR!'

There was a surprised silence broken by the enthusiastic clapping of James, Robert, Remus, Sylvia and the other Gryffindors.

Next was Black, Sylvia. She had never been more afraid in her whole life. She was afraid what her parents would say if she was in Gryffindor but she also didn't want to be in Slytherin alone without Sirius. Trembling she went to the stool. She saw Roxanne give her a thumbs up and she relaxed a bit.

'Another Black?' said the sorting hat,' well I suppose you also want to be in Gryffindor?'

'I don't know,' said Sylvia, scared.

'Where do you want to be?' asked the hat, gently this time.

'With my brother ,' she said then gasped. She didn't mean to say that. It just sort of slipped from her tongue.

'Sure?' said the hat.

No she wasn't sure, but she took a deep breath and said,

'yes.'

'and that is courage, my dear,' said the hat happily,' you made the right decision, to be in GRYFFINDOR'

The Gryffindors clapped and Roxanne was jumping up and down. But no one looked happier than Sirius.

Next was Evans, Lily. Rose hugged her before she went up. Lily was also scared. She was a muggle-born and she knew what that meant. Would she even be sorted? What if she didn't fit in any house? She didn't think she had wisdom, modesty, courage or cunningness. How wrong she was, for the second the hat touched her head, it said,

'don't ever underestimate yourself,' and without another word it shouted,' GRYFFINDOR!'

Lily smiled happily and mouthed 'Good Luck' to Rose. She sat down besides Sylvia and introduced herself to Molly Prewett, the Head Girl.

After Lily it was Longbottom, Frank, who was sorted into Ravenclaw. Then it was Lupin, Remus' turn.

He sat on the stool and put the hat on.

'oh, you have struggled,' said the hat sadly.

'you know?' asked Remus, the words barely coming out of his mouth. Would they send him back after the hat told the whole school that he was a werewolf?

'yes I do,' said the hat,' I know that you have courage in you. You will do wonders, I tell you, wonders, in GRYFFINDOR!'

Remus almost 'WHOOOO HOOOO'ed with happiness. Instead he got down and sat next to Sirius and high- fived each other.

Next was McKinnon, Marlene, who was the first Hufflepuff. After Marlene was Potter, James.

The hat said to James,

'Interesting batch this year. Well boy, I would have put you in Slytherin-' at these words James' confident grin faded,' if you weren't the true and chivalrous friend you are. You deserve to be in GRYFFINDOR!'

James sighed with relief and took his seat opposite to Remus and Sirius. Next it was Sanford, Robert.

Robert was confident he would be placed in Ravenclaw. He was upset by this though, as his friends were in GRYFFINDOR. He sadly put the hat on and waited.

'Ah,' said the hat, amused,' why would you think you would be in Ravenclaw? Because you've read a few books and memorized them by heart? No boy, it not the mind that chooses where you belong, but the heart. You didn't want to read and learn all that did you? Your parents told you to. You didn't want to take all those extra classes, did you? You only did to make your parents happy and be selected in Ravenclaw like them. But in your heart, you want to be with your friends in Gryffindor and I do not have the slightest doubt that you will disappoint anybody, all right?'

Robert was stuck. His parents wanted him to be in Ravenclaw but he wanted to be in Gryffindor. So he said,

' Choose yourself,'

'no, it is your decision,'

'all right, then GRYFFINDOR', Robert yelled himself, happily and the Gryffindors started clapping.

'GRYFFINDOR it is!' said the hat and Robert, quite pleased with himself sat next to James.

It was finally Rose's turn; Zeller, Rose. She glanced at Remus and Lily who gave gave her thumbs up and Remus showed her his crossed fingers. Sirius also gave her a smile and her heart skipped a beat. She chose to ignore this and sat on the stool. The hat said,

'Rose, don't you think you should tell your friends?'

Rose paled. She stuttered,

'how- how do – you- know?'

'I know everything,' said the hat in a calm voice,' I also know that you will tell them about it one day.'

She would? Rose didn't think so. She was too afraid.

'Right now you might be afraid dear, but you will see in a few years what you are made of. Extreme bravery. And so you shall be in GRYFFINDOR!'

Remus yelled and clapped for Rose and was joined by Lily, Sylvia and Sirius. Robert and James clapped too.

Only Roxanne was left now. At 'Zeller, Roxanne' she went up and sat down.

'Twins?' the hat asked,' well I can't separate you two, right?'

'no,' said Roxanne quietly. But she didn't want to be in Gryffindor because of this. She wanted to earn her place there.

'Exactly what I wanted to hear!' said the hat blissfully and yelled,' GRYFFINDOR!'

Roxanne was so happy and hugged her siblings.

The feast appeared and they started eating. Rose was very happy too, except for the fact that the hat knew her deepest, darkest secret. The one no one knew.