Chapter 6 ~ Mr Miyagi's father

Marie woke up first before Daniel, which was quite surprising. It wasn't even that early, but the plane ride had clearly beaten him. Walking quietly down the stairs, Marie walked into the yard and looked around, getting the first good look.

It was quite beautiful in Tomi Village, the crystal blue skies littered with small crowds made Marie smile. "Good morning." Marie turned, spotting Kumiko walking out of the house.

"Oh, good morning. Sorry, I just woke up." Marie looked around. "Is there anything I can do to help? I don't wanna be a bother." Marie explained.

Kumiko though for a moment, before giving Marie a smile. "I teach O-bon dance after school. Want to help." Marie smiled.

"I'd love to. That's the dance for the festival to honor the dead, right?" Kumiko nodded with a smile.

"Very good. Follow me." The two girls walked from the yard and into the street, where plenty of villagers worked on some little farms.

"This is a very beautiful village." Marie stated, looking around. It was quite a beautiful place, better than Mr Miyagi had ever described.

"Thank you." Kumiko replied.

"I thought this was a fishing village, why are so many people farming?" Kumiko's face immediately fell, causing Marie to panic slightly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend."

"No, no, no. You did not offend." Kumiko spoke, shaking her head. "After war, Sato father brought fishing boat. Two years later, fish all gone."

"I'm sorry about that. That must be very tough." Marie said with a frown.

"Lucky Miyagi father create vegetable economy and save village." Kumiko explained, a small smile growing on her face. They had finally arrived at the school, where plenty of children were waiting patiently for them.

"This is Marie-san. Say hello." Kumiko spoke, standing in front of the kids.

"Hello Marie-san." The children coursed, making Marie smile.

"Hello." Marie spoke with a small wave.

"Let's show Marie-san what we have." Kumiko said, making the girls nod. The dance began and Marie watched closely, the movements very graceful. The children only got a minute or two in before stopping, bowing to Marie.

"That was very beautiful." Marie complimented with a smile.

"Good job. Let's keep going." Kumiko instructed. Marie smiled, watching the children reset their positions. "Come help. Fun."

Without hesitation, Marie walked over and began to help Kumiko. Maybe Okinawa won't be so bad with a new friend.

~ ~

A chuckle left Marie as she watched the children dance, clapping along with a beat as Kumiko sang instructions, correcting as the children danced. They'd gotten pretty far through the dance, which made Marie oddly proud.

Marie looked away from the children, spotting
Daniel looking at her. With an awkward smile, she gave him a wave which she returned. The girls besides her erupted into giggles, making Marie shake her head with a smile. As Daniel walked away with Mr Miyagi, Kumiko look at Marie.

"You and Daniel-san?" Kumiko asked, making Marie bite her cheek.

"I don't know. I'm not sure how he feels at this point." Marie replied.

"He likes you. Quite obvious." Kumiko stated with a teasing smile. Before Marie could reply, she heard a car pull up, and her eyes landed on a familiar black car.

"I'll be right back." Marie stated, running off to the car without waiting for a reply. She made it besides Daniel just as the car door opened, revealing Sato. "You have seen Father?" Sato asked as Chozen left the car as well.

Mr Miyagi nodded. "Then we finish tonight. I bring a nephew for witness." Sato stated.

"Then you and nephew both lose sleep tonight. I not be there." Mr Miyagi stated.

"Your teacher coward!" Chozen taunted, angering Marie immediately.

"You leave me no choice." Sato removed his jacket before crouching slightly, lining up a shot to Mr Miyagi's chest which immediately made Marie panic.

"Wait a second, wait a second!" Marie moved to intervene, but was stopped by Chozen holding her back.

"Get off of her." Daniel objected, moving to pull Marie away from Chozen. Tempers were high, and it definitely wasn't going to end well for anyone before shouting made everyone stop.

"Wait, wait!" Marie turned her head as Yukie ran towards them down the street. "Your father." Yukie was breathless as she finally got to Mr Miyagi and Sato, stopping them. "He want you. And you, too."

Sato glared at Mr Miyagi as he retrieve his coat from the roof of his car, putting it on before running past him the same way Yukie came from. Mr Miyagi and Yukie followed as Marie pushed away from Chozen glaring up at him.

Her anger made it hard for her to form words, only being able to glare at Chozen before running after Mr Miyagi. The group ran back to Yukie's house and into the back room, where Mr Miyagi's father laid. Marie, Kumiko and Daniel stood in the doorway while Mr Miyagi and Sato kneeled beside Mr Miyagi's father.

His father took one of Mr Miyagi's hands, and one of Sato's. The two men were clearly confused before he connected their hands about his chest, holding them together. Mr Miyagi and Sato's eyeline met before Mr Miyagi's fathers hands suddenly dropped.

Marie covered her mouth once she realized that the man had pasted, Yukie bursting into tears. Kumiko moved and wrapped her arms around her mother, the memories of Marie doing the same thing making it hard for Marie to stay together.

She turned to leave, but ran into Daniel instead, not hesitating to bury her face into his shoulder. Daniel wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. They had both missed this, but here wasn't the time nor place, they just held each other. "Out of respect for my teacher...I give you three days to mourn." Marie could hear Sato speaking. "When finish, I come back. You prepare to join him."

Marie could hear Sato walk past, but she didn't care. The only things flowing through her mind was the death of her own father, and the pain that followed.

~ ~ ~ ~

We love angst in this house. Anyway, thanks for 6k reads on the first Karate Kid book! I really appreciate it!💖