Chapter 2 ~ Six Months Later

Resting her chin on her hand, Marie continued cutting the bonsai in front of her. "Marie, isn't it time to get ready?" Marie sighed to herself, letting the clippers fall from her hand.

"Mom, I don't have a date!" Marie called, spinning around in her chair. "Besides, the senior dance is overrated. I'd much rather be here." Marie objected.

She wasn't totally lying, Marie really didn't have anyone to go with. She broke it off with Daniel 2 months after the tournament, the stares and him being hit on by other girls made it difficult for Marie to stay happy with him.

However, it would've been nice to go to the last event of her high school years. Oh well.

"Marie, you don't need someone to go to prom." Marie rolled her eyes with the shake of her head.

"Yes you do, Mom. That's the point of a 'dance'" Marie replied. She wasn't going because of them.

A month after Daniel and Marie broke it off, Ali, one of Marie's closest friends, asked Daniel out. Now they're together, probably going to prom, and Marie wanted none of that.

"Well, you should at least get out of the house. It'll be good for you." Marie raised an eyebrow before standing up, walking towards her door.

"You're trying to get rid of me. What's up?" Marie asked, opening the door. She regretted it as soon as she spotted Mr Harris at the front door. "Ah."

"Hey there, Marie." Marie flashed Mr Harris a fake smile, her eyes not reflecting the emotion her face did.

"Hi Mr Harris." Marie looked back at her mom. "Don't worry, I was just leaving." Marie walked back inside and grabbed her jacket in a slightly aggressive manner.

Throwing it around her shoulders, Marie walked past her mother and Mr Harris to the door. "Bye Marie."

Marie was out the door before she could even reply, not that she wanted to. With a sigh, Marie shoved her hands in her pocket, grabbing the keys to her car. She moved through the hall and down the stairs, giving the lady besides the stairs a soft smile.

"Good pupper." The dog whined, excited, as Marie praised him, scratching beneath his chin before walking off. Not to the prom, to Mr Miyagi's.

~ ~ ~ ~

"Mr Miyagi!" Marie called as she shut the car door behind her. She had received the car from Mr Miyagi on her sixteenth birthday, a beautiful mint green 1950's station wagon. The car was her prized possession, and she took great care of the car, knowing it was important to Mr Miyagi.

"In here." Marie walked up the deck and inside Mr Miyagi's house, walking through the room and into the backyard. "No senior prom?" Mr Miyagi asked, his gaze moving up to her.

"Not for me, Mr Miyagi." Marie said with a smile as she moved into the grass.

"What about Daniel-san?" Anja winced slightly as she dropped her jacket. If anything, Mr Miyagi was kind of oblivious, or that's what Marie though. The reality was that Mr Miyagi thought his students had made a mistake by breaking it off, but he didn't say that. He remained oblivious.

"He's with Ali." Marie commented, sitting down. There was a slight frown on her face as she leaned back, supporting her weight with her palms.

"You not go?" Marie shook her head.

"Not really my thing." Marie said with a small shrug. "Besides, I'd much rather be here instead of at home." The pair settled into a silence, which was comfortable for the both of them. Marie was tired of talking, she just wanted to be quiet, something she was much better at.