07

A couple days had passed since I met with Lando, we would message every now and again just asking how our days were going. The closer the weekend got, the less he would respond. I didn't mind it really. I knew he was busy preparing for the race that was on today. My brothers and I watched the qualifying yesterday. I couldn't help but smile when Lando was on the tv. He spun out on one of the qualifying laps. He later said the wheel just snapped on him mid turn and he couldn't catch it in time, but the car wasn't damaged, nor was he.

E: Good luck with the race today! I'll be watching so no pressure

L: Oh no now I'm stressed! Hah, I'll try my best 

I shoved my phone into my pocket as I joined my brothers on the couch. I sat between them both, placing the bowl of crisps on my lap for everyone to have. The TV showed a long table with 5 chairs. A couple of drivers walked out for the pre-race interview. There was Romain Grosjean, Esteban Ocon, George Russell, Daniel Ricciardo and lastly Lando Norris. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from smiling.  Everyone got their mikes attached, some of them taking a sip of their drinks before being questioned by the different news channels and members of the F1 press team. Daniel was asked about the recent news of his move to McLaren in 2021, which meant that Lando would have a new teammate. "You know, I think it's the right thing to do at the right time. Don't get me wrong Renault is a great team and they've been amazing to me, but I've had my eye on McLaren these last few years. Every year they are getting better and better and with Lando being on the team as well, he would be a great teammate to help push me towards more podiums or winds" Lando laughed and pushed his mic closer to his mouth "Actually Daniel I think it'll be you pushing me towards more podiums and wins". The both of them looked at one another and started laughing. Words were muttered to one another; more giggles came from them as other drivers answered questions. 

"What are your thoughts on that Lando?". He jerked his head at the lady who asked the question. "I'm so sorry could you repeat the question?". The lady repeated her question, she asked him about how it was his home race and did he have his family or loved ones nearby wishing him luck. "Ah well, of course I have the home crowd rooting for me, the same as Hamilton, Russell and Aitken does. I think my dad Andy is around here somewhere along with my Mum Cisca, other than that I'm certain I have someone wishing me luck at their home right now, who might be watching me right now". The cameras flashed a couple of times to take pictures of Lando. "Is this a special someone Lando?" His cheeks blushed as he bit his lip "Well, time will tell but I certainly hope so". The interview was finished with the drivers as the race now drew closer. I stared intensely at the tv as Lando walked out of shot. Did he really just say that? I hope it was about me. Oh god what if it was about another girl and I'm just being dumb. My phone lit up to the side of my leg. It was a text from him.

L: Hey, did you see my interview?

E: I did yeah! You did great, you and Ricciardo were a good laugh.

L: Yeah, he is a funny guy, you'd like him. Did you see what I got asked at the end? I hope you picked up on it

E: I did, it was very cute of you. 

L: Goodie, I have to get on now so I'll text you later on, have fun watching!

E: Drive safe, good luck!

My brothers looked at me with confusion about who I was texting but I just stayed quiet. The drivers lined up on the rid after doing the formation lap, Lando was in 5th after putting out an amazing performance after spinning in the first round of qualifying. The red lights began to come on one by one, I felt like I had stopped breathing as they stopped on full red, then quickly they went out. All of the cars went off at lightning speed, if you'd have blinked you would have missed them. The whole race was filled with excitement throughout, I was continually getting goose bumps from the race. I felt like I could finally tell why people loved the sport so much. A safety car was already out on the second lap due to Magnussen and Albon, which meant all the drivers got within seconds of one another. Another safety car was deployed on the thirteenth lap from Kvyatt having a huge crash and destroying the rear of the car. I was terrified seeing these crashes. I didn't want Lando to have the same thing happen to him, I didn't want it to happen to anyone. It's awful. The rest of the race my eyes were on Lando, if he wasn't on screen racing, I was watching the leader board and his gap times. I couldn't help it. I wanted him back safe but I wanted him to gain his positions back, he had dropped three places since starting the race. It is lap nineteen, Lando goes for it and attempts an overtake on Ricciardo. It doesn't work when he wanted too. I felt sorry for him. He was fully going for it. I had my fingers crossed for him, I wanted him to do well. Ricciardo ends up overtaking Landos' current teammate Sainz, but very quickly Sainz gets the position back, and Lando comes flying through with him and passes Ricciardo. I almost stood up and cheered for him, but then I remembered. My brothers didn't know I knew him. I was screaming out for him on the inside. It was coming to the end of the race. Ricciardo made the position back on Norris, but all of a sudden, Sainz had a tyre issue and began to drop places just two laps away from finishing. Norris made his was pass Sainz and currently sat comfortably in fifth place. Hamilton won the race miraculously. His front left tyre shredded itself on the last lap with Verstappen only twenty-three seconds behind. Max tried his hardest to catch Hamilton, corner by corner you could see the seconds shaving off quickly, but Hamilton made it across the line. Verstappen placed second, Leclerc third, Ricciardo fourth, and a boy who I had been sat with just a couple days ago placed fifth.