01

I awoke feeling the warmth on my skin through the pale green mesh curtains, the tiniest of hairs on my arms arose in the sunlight. The sun catcher against my window flickered a rainbow of colours across my room, it sent purple colours onto my plants, green onto my desk, reds and yellows over my drawers and walls. A soft tap came at my bedroom door with my dad calling my name "Eleanor, you have work in an hour". I sighed, being pulled out of my peaceful trance by my dad making sure I was awake for work. I rolled my body to the side, tossing my legs out of the bed and letting my feet hit my soft rug. I buried my toes in and stretched my arms up above my head. I groaned, not wanting to leave my room but work needed me today. I grabbed a pair a matte black leather trousers and a white fitted shirt, got changed and headed down to the kitchen.

My dad was leaning against the black granite counter top drinking his coffee, both of my brothers were already at work while my mum was still in bed. I grabbed some bread and put it into the toaster whilst the kettle boiled. "So, trouble, what's on at work for you today?". I turned and looked at my dad - "oh you know, the usual. Same shit different day". He let out a chuckle as I continued "Nah I'm only messing around. It's just catering for some events. Two small groups of fifty to one hundred people and one big one of about 500 people. All the staff are on today, no one can miss it". I got interrupted by the sound of my toast popping up and the kettle finishing. I quickly buttered my toast and made my tea whilst having a small conversation with my dad.

I headed back up to my room with twenty minutes left before I'd have to leave. I brushed out my golden-brown hair before doing a quick Dutch plait tying it off at the small of my back. I sat down on my desk chair & opened my makeup drawer. I wanted to keep it simple today so I tapped some concealer on under my hazel-coloured eyes and around my nose. I dusted a soft peach blush across my cheeks and the tip of my nose and gave a small highlight to my cheek bones. To finish off the quick makeup I just put on a soft brown eyeshadow, curled my lashes and put on some mascara. I grabbed my car keys off my desk and my brown leather waist apron, slipped on my black work shoes and headed back down stairs.

My dad came out from his dining room turned office and warned me that my mum was in the living room, a sigh left my house as I rolled my eyes and headed to the living room, I put my head through the door and looked in her direction. "I'm off to work now mum, I'll be back later on. It's busy today so I don't know what time". She didn't look my way; her hands were shaking as she lifted her coffee up to her mouth. I waited for a second for a response but got nothing, so I shut the door and headed to the front door. "I'll see you later on dad". I grabbed my phone off the table before the door and was about to head off to work but my dad caught my attention; "I'm heading off to the solicitor today to talk to them about your mum. See how I would go about getting a divorce". I nodded my head in response to him and let him know that I was only a phone call away if he needed me before heading for the door.

It was a quick drive to my workplace. I worked for a catering company; we would travel all across England. We would bring the food and the drinks to any event, serve the guests and make sure everything ran smoothly hospitality wise. We were travelling to one of the Hilton Hotels in the centre of Woking today, which thankfully saved me a long journey as I already lived here. I got to work and used my number to clock in, I was a head waitress. I was below the supervisor, assistant manager and the manager for the day. But I looked after anyone that was a new staff member and would be one of the only people to deal with any high priority guest.

Me and the other three senior members of the team had a meeting, spoke about the day. The first small event was simple, however we had two events on today at the same time in different rooms. My manager Jack informed us it'd be a hectic day and was about to end the meeting when the supervisor Katie asked what companies or organisations were having the event. "The first small meeting is just a retirement party for a solicitor firm, the gentleman had been there for twenty years. The other small meeting is an engagement party, accept the woman doesn't know she is getting engaged, so that is a surprise for her. The large event is for McLaren. There will be people from the MTC just around the corner, the drivers for McLaren Formula 1 and then some people from across there different bases, for example Sheffield. Any other questions?". We all shook our heads in response. "Okay great! So, Eleanor you'll be working with me in the McLaren event. I want you to look after the head table. Those are top priority guests. Katie and Sophie, you will be working the other two events on your own. If you have any difficulties, we all have our radios on us. So, let's have a great day. Stay happy guys!". We all got our radios attached to our waist aprons and put our in ears in. I followed behind Jack over to the McLaren event room and began to help him set up for the day. I wondered who would be on the head table... perhaps it's best I do a quick bit of research before the event happens.