Apologies and Lessons Learned

"I am not moving another step until you apologize to Bilbo," you said, sitting down on the ground and crossing your arms in defiance.

"What are you going on about?" Thorin gruffly asked as he stomped over to where you were seated.

"Y/n, this isn't worth it," Bilbo whispered loudly towards you.

"It's a matter of principle, Bilbo." Then directing your attention to Thorin you added, "You were exceptionally rude to Bilbo, and he and I expect an apology immediately."

"I don't expect anything," Bilbo said, crumbling under Thorin's menacing glare.

"Stand firm, Bilbo. Now isn't the time to falter. Like I said before, I won't budge an inch until you apologize."

"This is childish. Get up now. Do you honestly think yourself so invaluable to this quest that I would not leave you behind?"

"You would, but they won't," you said motioning towards the rest of the company. "Besides, they agree with me. You have been even more foul-tempered than usual the past few days. Isn't that right boys?"

The dwarves averted their eyes from Thorin. Some were kicking small stones nervously while others scratched the backs of their necks, but all of them muttered in agreement with you.

Thorin turned his attention back to you. "So you want an apology? Fine." He crouched down until he was eye-level with you. "I apologize...for what I am about to do." Then he snatched you up off the ground and roughly threw you over his shoulder. You kicked, wiggled, and fought him with all your might, but he just tightened his grip on you.

"Oh I'm going to get you back for this, Thorin Oakenshield!" you screamed.

"I'm sure you will try. Might as well get me back for this too while you're at it," he said before smacking you hard on the bottom. "Now stop squirming! Everyone move out!"

You continued to fight him for some time, until you finally grew tired and gave up.

"Aren't you sick of carrying me by now?"

"I am teaching you a valuable lesson."

"Oh, and what is that?"

"That in a battle of wills," he said, hoisting you off of his shoulder and back onto the ground, "no one beats a dwarf."

"And what lesson was the spanking supposed to teach me?" you asked, rubbing your backside and remembering the sting of his hand hitting your bottom.

He leaned close to you and whispered, "That was for my own enjoyment. And I won't apologize for that either," he added with a wink.

Then he walked on, leaving you standing there in amazement. "Perhaps," you thought to yourself, "I'll need a few more demonstrations before I let that lesson sink in completely."