Chapter 23-Freaking genius

I love the way her breathing changes as soon as I touch her body.
-unknown

I grabbed my jacket and headed to the door. I wanted to take a walk. I opened the door without looking trying to find my keys. When I looked up, I froze. I blinked once to see if my eyes were deceiving me. Nope, this was really happening. I bit my lip to hold in a laugh.

The view in front of me wasn't exactly the thing I wanted to see right now. Piper and James were kissing; on the porch of my house; in front of me. The whole thing lasted a few seconds because I cleared my throat and they both jumped. They looked at me horrified, both of them trying to speak.

I narrowed my eyes and shut the door and headed back to the kitchen. There goes my walk.

I heard the door opening. They were fighting over who should talk to me. I rolled my eyes and grabbed a beer from the fridge.

"Kora, we're..." Piper began and I turned to look at her. She seemed to be intimidated and quickly closed her mouth.

"Yes?" I asked expectantly. I looked over at James trying to hide my amusement. He looked awfully guilty.

"We were going to tell you, I swear." Piper continued. "I'm so sorry you had to find out like this."

I tried to keep my face impassive. I shrugged my shoulders and took a sip from my beer. I was afraid Piper was going to break down in tears so I dropped the act. I chuckled and rolled my eyes.

"I'm not mad." I said and they looked at each other confused.

"You're not?" James finally spoke.

"Come on, guys. You're my best friends; if you're happy, I'm happy."

They were hesitant to believe me but nodded.

"So, are you two a thing or just friends with benefits?" I asked and gulped when I saw that they both blushed and looked away. "Oh, okay. You haven't had that talk yet. Oopsie, my bad. Let's pretend I didn't say that." I cleared my throat.

"I should probably go." James said and smiled awkwardly. He looked over at Piper but she was still looking down at her feet. I got up and followed him to the door.

"I'll be right back." I told Piper and squeezed her shoulder.

I closed the door behind me. James was already sitting on the front door steps. I sat next to him and sighed. This was going to be complicated; I have to play best friend for the both of them. I grabbed his hand in mine.

"I still love you." He said and I closed my eyes. "I think I always will. And I know that's not right..." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I don't want to hurt her."

"You won't." I said and turned to look at him. "I love you too, James. But we both know that what we had is over. I'm glad that you're moving on. She's good for you."

"But she's not you." He whispered.

"No, she's better; so much better." I smiled but he didn't.

"I don't know, Kora..."

"Just do what your heart tells you. If you want her, then be with her."

He nodded and pulled me in for a hug. It was innocent, friendly and exactly what we both needed.

I entered the kitchen and Piper was sitting on a stool drinking my beer. I smiled and sat next to her.

"I really am sorry-"

"Stop it." I said softly. "You don't have to apologize. After Peter... I'm glad you're with James. You deserve someone good. You deserve to be happy."