Chapter 18-The knives of memories

I would die for her.
I would kill for her.
Either way, what bliss.
-Gomez (The Addams Family Movie 1991)

I swallowed the food in my mouth and straightened my back. Piper looked at me with wide eyes and a questioning look.

Chloe approached our table and gave me a grin, licking her lips. I looked her over and rolled my eyes. She's still the same tall, skinny blonde with blue eyes. Her long pink nails looked like pencils on her skinny hand that was resting on her hip.

I gave her a blank stare waiting for her move.

"You haven't changed at all, have you? Look at you, just as beautiful and just as slutty! Let me know when I'll find you on the hub, I'll be sure to drop a like. You know, out of mercy."

Piper opened her mouth but I covered her hand with mine, telling her to drop it. She looked back at me and I just smiled.

"Anyway, it's so good to have you back! I'm sure all the nerds are shedding happy tears for your return."

I bit my lip amused while she just now discovered that James was next to me. He put down his book and looked at her with a bored face.

"Hi, James. How have you been? What did you do in the winter break?"

Piper and I looked at each other with disgust.

"Nothing much. Kora and I broke up, though." He shrugged. I covered my mouth and coughed trying to hold back a laugh.

"Oh... that's-that's very sad, I'm sorry."

"It's fine. But you know, my schedule is free if you still want me to tutor you." He gave her a smile and I thought she was going to pass out.

"Yes, yes, of course! I really need help!" Her voice was becoming higher and higher and if she continued like that, my ears would start bleeding. "Here's my number, call me ANYTIME!" She gave him a piece of pink paper and he took it and shoved it in his pocket.

"I will." He smiled again and she giggled finally walking away. I started laughing unable to hold it back anymore. Piper looked at me shocked while James shook his head.

"I can't believe you sold yourself!" I continued to laugh.

"It was the only way she was going to leave." He shrugged returning his attention to the book.

"What just happened?" Piper asked.

"Oh, don't worry. This will probably happen on a daily basis. That's Chloe, the queen bee."

"How can you let her talk to you, like that?"

"What? The nerd part? Haven't you heard? Here I was the defender of the nerds and bullied." I grinned and she still looked concerned. "Except for James, he didn't need me; he has Chloe to protect his reputation."

James scowled not bothering to look up.

"I mean the hub part." Piper said and I scratched the back of my neck. James put down his book.

"I probably deserved that. I did sleep with her boyfriend."

"Oh?"

"Well, I didn't know he was her boyfriend. He was older and he went to another school. I met him in a bar. I later found out he was her boyfriend. She's hated me since." I shrugged.

"When did this happen?"

"Freshman year."

"Tell the whole story Kora." James' jaw was ticking.