[37] Advantages

With the fog hanging thickly in the air, obscuring your vision, you knew you were at a disadvantage. You weren't disillusioned enough to believe you could hold your own in a head-on match with Kurapika. His nen skills were almost legendary, and his quick thinking made him a formidable opponent. Factoring in that he knew you well and had constantly and consistently kicked your ass at your internship with Hawks... Well, you were definitely in for a rough time.

You couldn't sense Kurapika at all. No doubt he was concealing his presence with zetsu, and with you only able to see less than a full meter ahead of you, finding him would be difficult. If his eyes turned scarlet, it'd only be worse for you. Considering how strong he already was... He didn't need that extra help. Making him use his specialist abilities was downright suicidal, and you figured it would be safer to just not.

What all had you learned? You had trained under Biscuit Freaking Krueger, yet you could remember nothing. Your brain had gone completely blank, and for a moment you turned around in circles, trying to regain your composure.

Unlike Gon, you couldn't smell people out. Well, you could, your sense of smell was still above others, but nowhere near Gon's level. You accepted that, usually - your hearing was better than Gon's, his sense of smell was better than your own. It was a fair trade-off, right?

Didn't matter right now, though, because dwelling on it was not going to help your predicament.

Taking a deep breath, you closed your eyes. You had this in the bag - you just needed to stay focused. Unknown to your examiners, you were placed in the perfect environment to test out your new hatsu, and you were going to prove once and for all that you were not to be underestimated. If Kurapika thought he knew exactly what you were going to do, then you can use that to your advantage, right? Lure him into a false sense of security?

With your nerves calmed, you opened your eyes again, using gyo immediately. He can hide his presence, but you didn't think he could hide his chains since they were conjured with aura. However, you were either wrong, or he didn't have his chains out yet.

"Are you even around here?"

Your exasperated tone must have triggered the start, because as soon as you spoke you felt the air shift around you. Turning on your heels, you brought your arms up just in time to take the brunt of Kurapika's kick. It certainly saved you the pain you would have felt if his foot had connected with your stomach, but it was still strong enough to knock you off your feet. Tumbling backwards, you skidded across the grass. You were definitely going to have grass stains on your outfit, great. Mei had just made this for you!

"Are you planning on fighting me head-on like always?"

His voice wasn't condescending; just thoughtful. Standing up, you looked around - once again, he had disappeared into the haze.

What would Izuku do...? He always had a knack for getting himself out of precarious situations, and you thought hard about it before taking in a deep breath. If you can't see, get rid of the fog! You had copied Izuku's moves before, so it's not like it was a first, anyways!

Gathering your ren, aura gusting around you, you made sure to focus it around your fist with ko. Enhancer you may not be, it was an easy enough technique you had done many times as you punched the ground. Immediately, wind gusted upwards, and the ground beneath you cracked, leaving a small crater around you.

And more importantly - the ever-present mist had dissipated, going upwards before vanishing. It wouldn't be long until it was back, but you were able to take in your surroundings better.