[31] Two Sides of the Same Coin

cute ass fanart is by llreguiar on tumblr!

—·—·—

"That's why, until I become a true hero, I won't repair my arm."

Izuku had walked in right after you had gotten back to the hotel room, only to hear the distressing news about Tenya's arm and nerve damage. Holding up your heavily bandaged hand, you tried to give him a smile.

"Well, at least we having matching hand wounds," you joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere. "Does this make us best friends now?"

Izuku looked down at his injured hand as well, and you had the wry thought that you all were a weird band of misfits. The only one who didn't have a matching hand wound was Shouto, although that was probably a good thing.

As if Shouto could sense your thought, he looked down. "I feel... Kind of bad..."

You all looked over in confusion at his change in demeanor. "Um, what?"

"Every time I get involved, other people mess up their hands..." Whatever you were expecting Shouto to say, it wasn't that as he glared down at his own first. You stood there, frozen. Did you... Hallucinate? Did he really say that? "Is it a curse?"

The three of you erupted into laughter, and you had to sit down as you painfully held your sides, gasping for air between laughs. "I can't believe you can joke, Shouto!"

"I'm not joking... I'm like the 'Hand Crusher' or something..."

This caused you all to laugh harder at his words. Wiping a tear from your eyes, you tried to stifle your giggles. "Th-the 'Hand Crusher'... oh my god.... pffffft!"

And just for that moment, everything felt fine.

—·—·—

A day later, you had been discharged from the hospital. It wasn't Hawks whom had showed up to pick you up, but Kurapika, with Usagi as the driver. You were sure Kurapika could drive, but he didn't have a Japanese driver's license, so it was better safe than sorry. You were still disgruntled by Hawks' lack of appearance and his abandonment of you in Hosu, but kept silent for most of the ride back to head quarters.

"Still nothing?"

Kurapika didn't need to elaborate for you to know he was talking about your nen, and you shrugged. "A little bit more is there, but not a lot." You held up your bandaged hand, grimacing. "Not that it matters. It's most likely too late to save the nerves in my hand."

His facial expression didn't change much as he nodded, his eyes slowly traveling over to the car window. "I believe Hawks is planning for the rest of your internship to be spent idly, so you can rest."

You snorted, rolling your eyes. "What, he's not going to show up to talk to me himself?"

Your friend didn't bother saying anything else, and soon enough you were all back in Shinjuku at Hawks' headquarters. Usagi didn't greet you like normal as she held the door open for you, most likely because she was nervous with your grouchy expression. After being granted clearance, you and Kurapika were led to an elevator that started to ascend. You stood their with your arms crossed, tapping your foot in irritation.

Getting to the floor you all needed to go to, you were displeased to be lead to the meeting room where you were first reunited with Kurapika, and even more displeased to see Hawks there, papers spread out all around him. At your entrance he looked up, giving you two an easy going smile.