Chapter 16

I really want some feedback from you guys. If you're reading this story, how did you find the first one? I'm curious as to how you guys found me. Also because of college and work, I'll be updating Now or Never on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Have a good day/night! (Unsaid Emily chapter.)

-/-/-/-/-/-

The rain made everything feel colder as we walk closer to his parents house. Luke was nervous. How would his parents react? Obviously they were going to think this was insane. "Do you want me to go inside with you?" I ask, keeping his hand in mine. He nods a little and walks up the porch. His hand balls up into a fist and he moves it up to the door. He doesn't knock. He just looks at the door. "Are you sure you're ready for this?" I ask quietly squeezing his hand softly. His gaze moves over to me. "I have to do this.." His voice is barely above a whisper. He finally knocks on the door. It took a second but once the door swung open there was no going back. Luke's dad stood frozen and staring at the young man in front of him. Neither of them spoke. Luke was scared to and his dad, well, just couldn't believe his eyes.

"Honey, who is it?" Emily smiles and walks over to the door, her small figure covering up half of the doorway now. The cup of coffee she was holding in her hand falls from her grasp. Tears fill her eyes as she looks over her son. "How.." She whispers quietly, her hands moving out to gently cup his face. "This isn't possible.." His dad says to her. She doesn't say anything as Luke's eyes fill with his own tears. I stay quiet beside them being sure not to ruin their moment. It's not everyday your son who's been dead for 25 years comes back to your door. Emily wraps him in a tight hug. Luke needed that hug. I gave him hugs but I could never give him a hug like his mother could.

"You're saying.. that night you died, you and your friends were in a quiet black room. Then the girl, your friend, Julie brought you guys back 25 years later by playing your CD?" Emily asks after we all move to sit in the dining room together. Luke nods and looks at his parents. He just told them the whole story about how he showed up here again. Explained everything from me being the only one who could touch him to who Caleb is. His parents listened as much as they could. It was extremely overwhelming. I was worried Emily was going to faint for a second. Luke asks his mom if they could talk in private. She nods quickly and stands up, walking with him.

"I'm so sorry. I should've never run away." Luke says quietly and looks up at her. His cheeks were tear stained by how much he'd cried since he got here. He missed his family a lot. She reaches her hand up to fix his hair on his forehead. She couldn't help it. She was his mother and she'd missed him a whole lot too. Her mind still not able to fully comprehend what was going on and his words just made her want to give out right there. She never expected to see her son again. "I shouldn't have pushed you away.." She wipes the tears from her eyes. Luke shakes his head and hugs her again. She hugs him back tightly. She needed a hug just as much as he did. "Do you mind.. if I sing Unsaid Emily for you?" He asks once they pull away from their embrace. Emily smiles at him and nods. "I'd love that." She says, watching as he walks to grab his guitar in his old bedroom. It was the second acoustic guitar he'd ever gotten. His parents gave it to him before he ever joined the band. It was just something to play around with until he realized he could do beautiful things with this guitar. He pulls up a chair and sits in it. He didn't need the words as he had the whole song basically memorized. He remembered the day he made Reggie, Alex, and Bobby sing it with him as he was too broken to sing it alone.

"First things first, start the scene in reverse.
All of the lines rehearsed disappeared from my mind.

When things got loud
One of us running out. I should have turned around.
But I had too much pride.

No time for goodbyes. Didn't get to apologize. Pieces of a clock that lies broken.

If I could take us back. If I could just do that. And write in every empty space, the words I love you in replace then maybe time would not erase me.