11: Walls Up

Hey!!! Back with another chapter. I would love to see your opinions about how the book is going so far, so I can see if I'm doing things right because I have not confidence...but anyways LET'S MOVE ON TO THE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------

Annabeth's POV

The familiar scent of salt water flowed into my nose as I took in a deep breath. Thinking that it's Percy, I moved closer to the source only to feel the coldness of a pillow instead. I opened my eyes in confusion, waiting for my vision to clear before taking in my surroundings of Percy's and my bedroom in the cabin on Montauk Beach and the fact that there's no Percy. "Why am I in Montauk?" I slowly sat up and let out a groan in pain when I felt a pounding ache in my head. "Percy?" I called out. Everything was still hazy and it was messing up my senses, making figuring out where my husband is a lot more difficult.

That's when the door in the room opened and Percy stepped in. Our eyes met and I could see so many emotions through them. Anger, sadness, worry, but what was currently displayed the most was relief. "Thank the gods you're awake. I was about to summon Apollo to check on you." He said as he walked over to the bed and sat down beside me.

I groaned again because the headache that seemed to worsen when Percy spoke. "Oh, sorry. Waking up after that knockout gas isn't fun." He grabbed a bag from the drawers and put his hand inside to pull out a cube of ambrosia. "Here." I tossed it into my mouth the second he handed it to me and sighed out in relief as the headache gradually went away. "Better?" I nodded yes to answer him.

"What happen?" I asked. "I would expect to wake up in some interrogation room instead of here."

Percy's expression instantly harden and anger was now the most dominant emotion shown. He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair, making it a lot messier that it usually is. "After the Avengers got the drop on us, we were sent to some interrogation room. I woke up and immediately went to find you. I brought you here and then there was meeting with the rest of the gods."

I glared at him. "You had a meeting without me?!"

"You were still unconcious. What was I supposed to do?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe wait!" I shot back. "I thought we agreed we always go to meetings together." The gods aren't the type of people watch their tongues and actions and with the everything we've experienced, nearly anything can be a trigger for us. Only each other can bring us out of whatever mindset we're in.

"I know. I'm sorry. I just..." Percy started, but stopped, trying to find a way to himself. Though he was clearly coming up with blanks.

I took in a deep breath to calm myself. The yelling was only bringing back in the headache. "You're lucky this is your first offense." Percy smiled at me, ridding me of all my previous anger. But the smile wasn't reaching his eyes. "Alright, there has to be more to the story. What was discussed?"

He continued what he was saying. The deeper he got into the events, the more his tone hardened; and irritation and anger was seeped into it. When he finished he wouldn't even look me in the eyes. "Percy..." I placed a finger under his chin to gently lift up his head for our eyes to met and moved a bit closer to him. He was tensed and any other person would think he has his guard up, but I could see how heartbroken and disappointed he was of everything that happened. I moved my hand to cup his cheek and used my thumb to caress the smooth and soft surface. Percy leaned more into the touch and closed his eyes before breathing in and out. Each breath he release, the more he relaxed.

"I never thought I'd say this, but what you came up with was smart." He let out a chuckled to that comment. "It was a compromise that satisfied everyone. The Avengers may not like it, but it's better than getting smittened by Zeus. But are you sure this is the route you want to take? That Tony Stark guy is your family. He is...no all of them are your last remaining connection to the mortals."