Chapter 9 - Summer Camp Day 1

"Mom I really appreciate it, thank you so much! I'll be gone for a week, be a good boy Baloo." Kate hugged the cat one more time before she handed him to her mom. "Nonsense! I'd love to have a company! It's been lonely since both of my kids moved out, ya know? Anyway, take care, and have fun, honey." Kate smiles apologetically at her mom and kisses her cheek while mumbling a 'thank you'.

"Alright mom, I'm gonna get going. I'll see you in a week. Bye-bye!" she waved at Renee and Baloo before heading to the nearest bus stop. She has to be at the hospital around 7 in the morning and she hadn't got the chance to pack. Baloo has been her company for the last month and she can't just leave him alone. Plus, she can't afford to put him at a pet hotel or something like that.

"Kate, I heard your hypo is getting worse lately? Don't forget to bring lots of sweet treats for the whole trip!" she smiled when she read her text from Jen.

"Okeydokey doc!" she replied immediately.

Kate suffers from Congenital Hyperinsulinism. It is a condition that causes individuals to have abnormally high levels of insulin, which is a hormone that helps control blood sugar levels. People with this condition have frequent episodes of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia or hypo for short). She's been dealing with this since forever and she's been carrying snack bars and fruit juices everywhere her entire life. She got it from her father's side of the family, her mother once explained to her. She decided to stop by at the grocery store to buy some fruit juices, candies, and sweet bars for the trip. She never knows what will happen.

The total of families signed up for this trip is six families. dr. White had rented two buses in total. This includes Belle, Jason, Ryan, Oliver, and Oliva. The plan is that Laura and Charles are on the first bus, and Kate and Isaac are on the second bus.

***

After three hours of driving and numbers of carpool karaoke, they finally arrived at the Mountain Ridge Vineyard and Resort. The place is much prettier than the picture on the internet. Everyone had their own 'awe moment' before they step inside the resort.

"Welcome to Mountain Ridge Resort. You must be from Stonefield Hospital! I'm Lucas Rodriguez, we've been talking through phones." The tall guy shook dr. Reed's hands. Lucas is the head manager for the resort, he looks a bit chubby and tan and had this Mexican accent.

"Oh, Lucas! It's great to finally meet you in person! Yes, I'm Laura Reed, this is my other fellow doctors. Charles White, Kaitlyn Reynolds and Isaac Baker."

After checking in, the staff assisted the families to their lodges. The doctors are in the same lodge. The fun activities will start tomorrow morning, everyone had free time for the whole day today except the doctors. They had meetings with all the counselors along with Lucas. Lucas briefed them on all the facilities, the maps, and schedules for the adults while the counselors (mostly the volunteers from local high school and community college) explained about the activities dr. Reed has been requested. The doctors made a few adjustments and will see how it goes tomorrow.

"Doctors, we had a sudden visit from our bosses so I'm sorry if I'm not always available to help you this whole week. I'm still one call away though! Don't worry!" Lucas has an outgoing and witty personality. No wonder he and Laura click immediately.

"We'll be fine Lucas. Thank you." Charles gave him a small nod. "Oh, I will be there in no time if you call me, dr. Handsome number 1" we all laughed at his statement.

"dr. Handsome number 1?" Kate laughed.

"Who's number two?" Isaac asked, still laughing.

"You are. Duh." Now everyone laughed harder.