Chapter 15 - Be Honest with Your Own Feelings

Josh came to pick up Kate at 11 AM. This was Kate's first time in a car with Josh alone. Josh told her that the party is going to be a garden party and he actually didn't know who else his mom invited besides their family. Probably some of the Paxton Enterprise business partners. Josh's eyes were fixed on the road, the radio was played at a low volume. They've been sitting in the car in silence for almost ten minutes. "Josh." She called his name. He glanced at her for a second and then stared at the road again. "Uhm... what does your mother interested in? A hobby, or some things that could be useful for her?" Kate wanted to buy a present for Mrs. Paxton but she didn't know what to buy.

"She likes to bake. Why did you ask?" he replied, didn't bother to look at her. "I wanted to buy her a birthday present but I couldn't decide what to give to her." Josh was surprised to hear that Kate wanted to give his mother a birthday present. Sure, he already prepared a present for her mother, but he didn't expect that Kate would want to do that. "Kate, you shouldn't. It's okay." said Josh.

"Please, Josh? I really wanted to give her something, even though maybe I couldn't give her an expensive gift. But I really wanted to give her something that at least could be useful for her on daily basis." Kate looked at him with puppy eyes and Josh just couldn't resist. Women usually throw him a flirty look or seducing look, but never puppy eyes. And seeing Kate did that, so innocent yet so cute, made him wanted to keep her for himself. "Can we have a detour, please?" Josh sigh. "Fine." What was happening to him? What does this pediatrician resident do to him?

Kate showed him the direction to the store she was aiming for. Josh wanted to come inside with her but Kate refused and told him to stay in the car. She promised she won't take long. Josh was skeptical at her words because all he knows is women tend to spend so much time while shopping. Within only 10 minutes, Kate already got back to the car, holding a gift box in her hands. "You're done?" Josh asked her in disbelief. "Yeah, now let's go wherever you wanted to take me to." She nodded. This woman is just... but then again, this is Kate we were talking about. A different kind of woman Josh used to be around with. His lips made a small curved, "Alright, ready for some 'real' shopping, Ms. Reynolds?"

***

Josh made an appointment with one of his mother's favorite designers. He told him that he's going to take Kate as his date to his mother's birthday party and Josh wanted him to dress her up to match with the party's theme. Aaron already waited for Kate and Josh at his store. He made Kate tried many of his dresses, but after a while, Josh requested that he wants Kate to wear a long dress instead. "Josh, can we agree on one dress, please? I'm tired. This is tiring." Kate complained when she stepped out from the fitting room for the 18th or maybe the 20th, she couldn't remember. "I thought woman likes to do this thing?" he asked her with a smug smile and made Kate rolled her eyes. "Not me." She said with a tone of annoyance in her voice.

Aaron handed another dress to Kate. It was a purple dress, which seems perfect for the semi-outdoor late-summer party. When Kate got out of the fitting room, Josh was staring at her for a little bit too long. "I think this is the dress, Ms. Reynolds. The look from Mr. Paxton explains it." Aaron winked at Josh and made him realized what he's been doing. Kate tried to hide her redden cheeks. She really doesn't want Josh to do all of this, it made Kate felt like she has debts to him and his family. Plus, the price tag of all those dresses was just...