Chapter 5 - Baloo

Kate regretted not changed her outfit before coming to the hospital. All the staff, nurses, and some doctors were looking at her and did some whispering. Either because of her dress or because she came with the Paxtons, or perhaps both. She had no idea. Kate asked the nurse to bring her stethoscope and other things she needs to examine Sara. Sara looked pale and weak. Her breath rate went back to normal but it was still weak. Kate suggests taking an allergy test, especially for peanut allergy.

"Nat, Sara should be fine. She needs to rest and stay the night in the hospital. The test's result will come out in the morning. It's been a long night for all of you. You should take a rest too." Natasha was looking at her only daughter, lying on the hospital bed, sleeping. She was glad Kate was there to take an action.

"Kate, thank you so much. I don't know what would happen if you weren't there. I owe you." Nat held Kate's hands.

"You're welcome. I'm glad she's fine now. The hospital couch could be uncomfortable and cold sometimes, do you want to borrow my clothes? You wouldn't want to sleep in your dress, would you? Beth and I have a few spares in our office."

Beth nodded at Kate's words, "yeah, I could lend it to you, Nat."

"That'd be nice, thanks, Beth."

When Beth went back to the VIP room, she already changed into her pants and shirt. Oh, how Kate wishes she could change her dress too. The dress is beautiful but it drew too much attention in the hospital.

"Thank you. Both of you should go home and have some rest for yourself. I'm sure you have a bunch of works tomorrow." Natasha said while looking at the two doctors. Both of them nodded and walked outside the VIP room with Noah and Josh. Noah told Beth he waits for her outside the lobby.

"I'll walk you home Kate, it's late and you're wearing this fancy dress. I'm worried." Beth told Kate. She was about to decline Beth's offer when suddenly Josh walked towards them.

"I'll take dr. Reynolds back to her place." Beth looked at Josh in disbelief. After her warning, he still had the guts to said that?

"I'm the one who drives her here, might as well take her back to her place, right? As you said, it's late and she's wearing a fancy dress. Nobody knows what would happen." He stated. "Shall we, dr. Reynolds?" Kate didn't understand what happened but she nodded at Josh.

"But—" Before Beth could finish, Kate turned in her direction. "It's okay Beth. I'll be fine. You look tired. You should go home too. Josh will take me back to my place, you don't have to worry." Kate reassured Beth.

'But it is him I'm worried about!' Beth felt like screaming but she didn't. "Alright, take care, Reynolds. I'll see you tomorrow. Josh, you're dead if something happened to Kate." She glared at him before she walked outside where Noah is.

"Your friend really cares about you, huh?" Josh let out a chuckle and looked at Kate.

"We knew each other since college and have been looking out for each other ever since." Kate smiled at Josh and walked towards the lobby. The staff and nurses still stealing glances towards the two, and he could sense she felt uncomfortable. Out of nowhere, Josh put his suit on Kate's open shoulder.

"Josh, you didn't have to—" She tried to give it back to him but he stopped her.

"You must be feeling a bit uncomfortable, just wear it."

***

Kate went back to the hospital the next morning and checked on Sara's condition. She's much better and the allergy result came; she does have a peanut allergy.