Chapter 11 - The Rescue

Kate knew it would be a bad idea to look out for Oliver alone but everyone was busy and panicking and she couldn't waste more time knowing Oliver was missing in the wilderness. Kate had her nap and feeling better but she regretted not munching something before they went to the staple and now, she only had one chocolate bar in her jacket pocket. The trail was wide enough and easy to pass by but the day was getting dark and her surroundings felt spookier than she thought.

Kate loves nature but she's been a city girl since she was little, and she camping two times and summer camp zero time. Her mom couldn't afford it at that time. Kate wished Isaac was with her now because she felt her hands were slowly shaking. This wasn't a good sign. She ate half of her chocolate bar to keep her going.

She passed a big wooden sign that said the camping area is still 3 miles. Oliver wouldn't walk that far, right? She took out her phone and turned on the flashlight. "Oliver!" she called out. But the only thing she could hear was her own breathing, and sometimes the bugs. Kate finally reached for the first checking point and found Oliver was sobbing in front of an old resting hut for the hikers. This little fella sure had the stamina to walk this far. "Oliver!" the little boy ran towards the familiar face he knew.

"dr. Reynolds!" she held him in her arms. He was crying really hard. "I got you, buddy. It's okay."

"I am so scared. I thought Oliva was with me but when I look back, she wasn't."

"Never, ever, roam around unsupervised like this again. Understood?" Oliver nodded. "dr. Reynolds, I'm cold." She hugged him tighter. "Alright, let's go inside this hut and warm ourselves."

Both of them got inside the resting hut and turn on the lamp. Luckily, it's still working. It was a small, empty hut; no chair, no blanket, nothing. Both of them sat on the floor and Kate gave Oliver half of her chocolate bar. "Aren't we going to go back to the hotel, doctor?"

"I am going to contact dr. Baker and see if he could come and get us instead." Kate has no energy to walk back to the resort, and it would be a bad idea to walk at this hour, with her blood sugar getting low like this. She could pass out anytime and she doesn't want that to happen. Not in this kind of situation.

She looked at her phone and there was no service. She couldn't make a phone call. If they walked back in the middle of the darkness, she was afraid they might get lost too. But if they stayed here for the night, she's afraid her hypo is getting worse. "Let's take a nap and wait for dr. Baker, okay?" Kate hugged him and he immediately dozed off. He must be really tired after the long walk. Kate hopes Isaac is really looking for her right now because deep down, she's scared too.

***

"Josh, wait up!" Noah tried to catch up with Josh and Luck. "Come on Charm!" Noah called his horse.

Josh couldn't lie to himself that he is worried about Kate and the kid. And after hearing the doctor's condition, he couldn't even think straight. He worried about that woman. If anything happened to them it won't be good for the resort's reputation, the hospital's reputation, his family reputation, the kid's family, and for his own mind. How could she be so reckless? She should've asked someone to go with her instead of going alone. This is really dangerous.

"Let's check the hikers' resting point," Josh suggested. "Alright let's go."

When both Josh and Noah arrived, they saw one of the hut's lights are on. It must be them. Kate and the little boy were sleeping in the empty hut. "We need to rehab these whole trails before next year." How could Josh think of something like that in this kind of situation?

"Alright boss, let's talk about the renovation when we get back to the resort, shall we?" Noah shook Kate's shoulder. She didn't respond, so Noah took the little boy in his arms.