Chapter 2 - Emergency Operation

After fifteen minutes or so, Beth finally came and lead the surgery. She was surprised on how good Kate's job so far. It was impressive. She was more surprised to see the old lady that was lying on her operation table. The lady was like the grandmother she never had. Mrs. Margaret Paxton. It's been a while since Beth's last encounter with her and this is not how she imagine their next one will be. But Beth remained focus and continue the operation with the help of Kate and the younger intern.

Kate and Beth have been knowing each other since college and decided to go to the same medical school. They always have each other's back and they are one of the best pairs when doing the basic surgical skill course. The professor even praised their works.

"Hey Reynolds." Beth called out.

"Yeah?"

"It's good to have you back in the operating table."

"I kinda miss this to be honest." Kate admitted and Beth smiled even though Kate couldn't see it through her mask.

"You still have your touch."

Kate chuckled, "thanks. Let's finish this, shall we?"

"Let's do it."

This old lady is an important person since she's one of the main sponsors for the hospital. She immediately transferred to a VIP room after the operation. Kate took a candy from her jeans pocket and put it inside her mouth.

"Hey, you look tired. Let's go to our office." Kate nodded at Beth's words.

When they have been informed that the family of the old lady has arrived, Beth avoids seeing them and sent the junior intern to see them instead. She rather spent her time with Kate in their office. Kate's blouse got bloodstain and now Kate is wearing Beth's spare t-shirt. Beth always has spare clothes at her locker, in case she needs it.

"Kate, you did an amazing job in the operating room." Beth yawned while sunk herself on their couch.

"Well thank you. It's been a while since my last operation in med school, but it still gave me thrilled." Kate chimed.

"You should've done the general surgeon residency instead. You can continue a fellowship for the pediatric surgeon, you know that?"

Kate smiled at her best friend, they both wanted to become a surgeon, but Kate changed her mind during their last year of medical school. "I know I could. But I love what I'm doing now too. You yourself is such an amazing surgeon, look at you!"

"Thanks, girl. I know, you're very good with all your patients. I don't know how you managed to act so nice with kids." Beth was never a big fan of children. She's not against them or kind like that, she just couldn't stand to interact with them for too long.

"It's not an act Beth, some people just find kids are adorable." Kate chuckled. "I think I'm going to go back to my place. I need to soak my clothes to get rid of the bloodstain and I might have a nap before I start my shift in about 5 hours." She said while took a glance at the clock.

"Yeah go ahead. I think I'm just going to stay here. Too tired to go back to my apartment." Kate just nodded and head outside the hospital.

It's not her first time walking alone after midnight in the city, but sometimes it still creeps her out. You never know what will happen. She arrived safely at her apartment and clean up a bit before decided to have a short nap.

***

Kate almost late for her shift this morning, she barely had breakfast. Luckily she always has granola bars, chocolate bars, candies, anything sweet on her bag, in case she didn't have time to eat and her blood sugar drops. She knew it's unhealthy but it's the easiest way to increase her blood sugar. She has this rare genetic condition where her blood sugar could drop easily even though she didn't have diabetes. Usually having low blood sugar is having to do because of the treatment of diabetes. She got it from her father's side, she's been carrying sweets and fruits ever since to prevent her from passing out.