Chapter 5

After Mr. Walsh left, Deborha took me home. I still couldn't believe he had kissed me. I had reacted by pushing him away. "What's on your mind child?" she asked me. I turned to my attention to her and I realized we were already at my house.

"It's nothing, thank you for the ride." I said, getting off the car. "And thank you for helping me." I closed the door and walked to the appartment. IT was upstairs and I had to skip a few slippery steps. I reached the top floor and walked past three doors to get to mine. I opened the door finding my mom on the couch.

"Mom? You okay?" I asked her. She looked at me, her face lighting up at the sound of my voice.

"Oh sweetie, I thought you had gotten into trouble. I'm so happy you are home. I was really scared." she said hugging me tight. I hugged her back. "what is wrong with you? Not calling me or telling me you were going to go out? You are grounded young lady." she yelled at me.

I sighed and helped her sit down. "I'm going to make dinner." I said wlaking over to the kitchen.

"Oh thank you honey. How was your day today?" she asked nicely again. This was the thing with my mom, she had a mental problem and since I couldnt afford to get her any proffesional help. Deborah had volunteered to help out, but I didn't want her to waist all her savings on us.

"It was fun mom. I really enjoyed this morning." I said, smirking as I replayed the kiss in my head. I can't believe I was stupid enough to push him away. I got really nervous and I had no expirience on dating.

"I'm going to sleep." she said in a low, tired voice. I sighed as I watched her drift off to sleep. I went to my room, grabbed some jeans and a shirt. I changed quickly and walked out the door to do my job. I walked to the appartment two doors away and knocked.

"Oh Harper, it's so good to see you." Said Mrs. Marshal. She smiled sweetli at me. "Come on in. I heard what happened at school a few days ago and I haven't been able to find someone to clean."  She opened the door wider and I saw that her house was a mess.

"Well, I'm here now. I'm sorry I didn't come any sooner." I apoligized.

"Okay, well I'm going out, so please, by the time I get back, have this place clean so I don't scare my clients away." she said with a wink. I smiled and nodded. I watched her leave the appartments and get into her red mustang convertable.

For an elder widow, she could get her men. I sighed and started my work.

It took me about two hours to clear her living room. I didn't get how she could get this so dirty. I just needed to start on her room. I opened the door to her room and was hit with the scent of weed and sex. I felt like gaging but held my breathe. I practically ran tot he window and popped it open.

I took a deep breath and started cleaning the room. I was really disgusted at what I was finding but I really needed the money. Mrs. Walsh could be a whore, but she payed me good to cleen her home. I finshed cleaning the room when the front door open. "Harper, are you still here?" She asked. I could hear her giggling and a kiss or two.

"Yes Ms. Marshal. I'm finished so I'll be on my way." I said keeping my head down as I passed her and the stranger. I knew better than to keep my head up when she was in one of her moods. I walked out the door and hurried to my home. I opened the door to find everything extremely quiet. Too quiet.

"Mom? Where are you?" I asked. I checked the room but didn't find her. I checked the bathroom and she wasn't there either. I looked everywhere but she didn't appear. I started to panic and my heart started to beat faster. I grabbed my cell phone and I remembered it was dead. "Shit!" I hissed.

I ran to the charger and put my phone to charge. Stupid piece of junk wasn't charging fast enough. My hands were already shaking and I could feel the panic rising even more. I grabbed my phone when I saw that the battery was yellow instead of red.

I dialed Deborah's number and waited for rings before she picke dup. "Deborah, mom's missing!" I told her.

"I'm on my way." she said and hung up.

I waited for her to get here and I just couldn't stand still. I was passing back and forth when the door burst open. "Harper, what happened?" she asked, her voice full of worry.

"I don't know." I said inbetween sobs. "I was cleaning Mrs. Marshal's home and when I came back, she was gone. I looked everywhere but I just can't find her." I cried. She handed me a jacket and we both headed to her car.

We spent three hours looking for her, but it was impossible to find her. This city was way to big and we wouldn't be able to find her in one night. "Harper, just get some rest. Tomorrow we will look for her more carefully and slowly. Just don't give up yet." she told me.

I nodded my head and walked to the appartment. Today had started out as a great day and ended badly.