18

"Bye," Harry says, wrapping his arms around Zain and kissing his cheek. "It was great that you were here," he adds more quietly, stepping back like he can feel Gemma's glare.

"Thanks for inviting me," Zain says, smiling at him. It's no different than when they said goodbye after the time Zain was visiting Gemma's mother with her, but Gemma's glare on his back is making it awkward. "Enjoy the rest of your holiday, yea," he adds, stepping back to clap Nick on the arm and hug Josh.

"You as well," he says. "Was good meeting you."

"We'll see each other, I'm sure," Josh says. "Safe trip home and all that."

"Cheers," Zain says, remembering that he has to fly soon again. It hadn't been too bad, on the way here, but he's still apprehensive.

"It'll be fine," Harry says, like he can read Zain's mind. "Try not to worry about it too much."

"Sure," Zain says wryly, smiling to soften the tone. "See you," he says and walks down the stairs to catch up with Gemma. "Impatient much?" he says, sliding into the taxi beside her.

"Efficient," Gemma says, leaning across Zain to wave at them. "I said goodbyes before I put my luggage in the taxi. Wanna bet it'll be raining when we land in Manchester?"

"No bet," Zain says. "Why do you think I am wearing long jeans and put a hoodie in my hand luggage?"

"Depressing," Gemma sighs. "I miss the sun already. I like having a tan. It will evaporate the moment I leave this country."

"Poor you," Zain says, because he's actually gotten tan and his tan would stay for a bit at least. He leans his head back and watches the landscape pass, missing the sight of it already, how different it was, how so much warmer somehow and more relaxing. It was probably just his associations with it, but still.

"Sorry I freaked," Gemma says, taking Zain's hand.

"Hm?" Zain says, pulled from his thoughts.

"Sorry I freaked," Gemma repeats firmly, looking at Zain. "I just. You know I worry about him and you both are the most important men in my life, somehow, and I just don't want it to get messy, or one of you to end up hurt."

"Yea," Zain says, swallowing against the lump of guilt in his throat. "I know," he says. "You were never supposed to know, you know. Because we don't want you to worry or feel like you might need to pick sides."

"That doesn't make it better," Gemma says, grimacing slightly.

"Yea," Zain says, frowning. "Sorry. But. We won't end up hurt. It was just. Harmless," he finishes lamely, because he doesn't know how to talk about this with the sister of what was basically his booty call. This was why she should never have found out.

"Yea," Gemma says with a sigh and an eyeroll. "It's always harmless at first. I'm not joking, Zain," she says more seriously. "Please don't do it again. You don't know if it won't turn more than harmless fun until it's too late, and I really- I don't want you to be hurt and I want both of you in my life for the rest of it, please don't risk it ending up awkward for all of us because of a bit of harmless fun."

"Yea," Zain says, feeling thoroughly chastised. "Yea, I understand."

"And I'll try not to freak out like that again," Gemma says, taking his hand. "Really, sorry for that."

"I know," Zain says, kissing her forehead. "It won't happen again."

"Thank you," Gemma says. "I need you both to get along, otherwise my wedding will be very awkward."

"Wedding?" Zain laughs. "Did I miss something? Have you proposed?"

"No," Gemma says, her cheeks flushing. "I was just talking, like, generally."

"Sure," Zain says, poking her side and making her squeak. "Hypothetically. At your wedding. I will get along with Harry, don't worry."

"That's all I ask for," Gemma says, kissing his cheek. "It was a nice holiday. Maybe we can make Harry invite us next time again."

"Sounds good. I like this mooching off your brother life," Zain says with a nod. "Very relaxing."

"I know," she laughs, leaning her head on his shoulder and watching the countryside pass by.

💟

i think i finally figured out where i am going with this, it's a miracle, but have a short one