27

"That was nice," Zain yawns, stretching his arms above his head. "Food?"

"Food," Harry agrees. "I can make us something at home."

"Or we could get pizza," Zain says, turning his head to look at Harry. "And ice cream. I could go for ice cream."

"Pizza?" Harry asks, thinking about his nutrition plan and biting his lip. He wasn't too strict with it, but he had another photoshoot next week and he really didn't want to look flabby then.

"And ice cream," Zain repeats, watching Harry for a moment. "Or is that not LA enough? Are you scared the paparazzi will judge you?"

"Zain!" Harry says, reaching out to slap his thigh gently. "When have you even seen paparazzi?"

"When Gemma dragged me to shopping," Zain says, smirking. "But we weren't cool enough for them."

Harry snorts. "Poor you."

"But anyways," Zain says. "Why don't you want pizza? Too fatty? Has your food advisor told you not to eat the big bad cheese?"

"God, you are so mean," Harry says, shooting him a look. He looks so pretty, all mischievous and smirky. Harry wants to touch him and maybe push him onto his back and make him forget his teasing.

"I'm right, aren't I?" Zain smirks, tugging on Harry's hair. "You're not allowed carbs and fun."

"It's not food advisor. It's nutritionist," he admits, not looking at Zain, who laughs, loud and happy.

"But alright. If you want. We can get pizza," he gives in.

"And ice cream," Zain adds.

"And ice cream," Harry says, reaching out to touch Zain's arm.

Zain links their fingers, like he's been waiting for Harry to reach out, sliding them together and squeezing Harry's hand.

Harry can't bring himself to pull away, navigating the street to the pizzeria that he knows makes the best pizza in his neighbourhood. There was a spot to park a bit further up from where they could watch the sea. It would be a nice way to end the day. It's all too romantic, really, especially with Zain holding his hand. But he would resist.

He wasn't a cheater and he wouldn't become one now. Not even for Zain.

💟

"Did you have a good time?" Harry asks, pressing play on the remote and snuggling down on the couch. He's exhausted from a day spent in the sun, warm and languid, and Zain smells like his shower gel.

He's full with pizza and ice cream, more indulgent than he has been in ages. It was all Zain's fault for daring him, and he can't regret it, not when Zain had laughed so happily.

"Course," Zain says, running his hands through Harry's hair. "But heat is exhausting, I'm about to fall asleep."

"Yea, that's fine," Harry assures him, turning his head to the side, holding himself back from touching Zain's soft hair.

Zain smiles at him, his eyes crinkling, and sending butterflies through Harry. He's so close, his breath tickling Harry's skin.

It would be so easy, he'd just have to arch up a bit. He doesn't even know when Zain got this close, hovering above Harry.

"Shit," he says, catching himself and turning his head to the side. Zain's lips slide over his cheek and Harry closes his eyes, his fingers clenching on Zain's shoulders.

"Zain," he says way too weakly but Zain has already stopped, his face pressed into the couch cushions under Harry, his hand on Harry's waist gone slack.

"I'm not gonna cheat," Harry says, clearing his throat. Technically he probably already is. "I don't think you'd want that either."

"No," Zain says, voice muffled.

He's still half-lying on Harry and Harry tries not to enjoy it.

"Don't understand why you won't break up with him, though," Zain says, pushing himself up. "You haven't even texted him once all day. You text me at least every other hour."

"I do not," Harry denies.

Zain rises a disbelieving eyebrow, running a hand through his hair.

"That doesn't matter," Harry deflects, because he did text Zain very frequently and Max — he barely thought of Max when they weren't together. He didn't think of Max when he was with Zain. Not as anything but a caution sign.

"You just broke up with Hannah, either way," he says, flinching when Zain cups his cheek. "You were heart-broken. I don't want to be your rebound."

"Rebound?" Zain asks, turning Harry's face towards him and frowning. "Babe, that's why you haven't broken up with your boy toy?"

"Don't call him that," Harry frowns, wondering when Zain has gotten so good at reading him.

"Don't distract," Zain counters.

"Maybe," Harry admits. "But it's a moot point because I have a boyfriend."

"I guess," Zain says, pulling on Harry's hair again.

"It's a good thing I'll be busy," Harry says, pushing Zain away carefully and getting up, moving to the armchair next to the couch. No need to temp either of them. "I'll make you your smoothie but no more groping."

"You promised groping," Zain pouts at him, looking ridiculous.

"That was before you tried to kiss me," Harry says abs then blushes. God, he's worse than a teenager. He can't believe he's having this conversation. He can't believe, Zain is behaving like this.

"And if Gemma finds out," he adds, as a warning. It works, Zain flinching back slightly.

"Yea, alright," he sighs. "Restart the movie then. I didn't catch anything. I heard the first scene of a movie is the most important."

"Dunno about that," Harry says and then is abruptly glad that he hasn't given in when Gemma pulls open the door.

"Hey, losers!" She calls.

"Just in time for a movie!" Harry calls back, sharing a panicky look with Zain. It settles something in him, knowing that they haven't lost their easy connection after the awkwardness.

He'd just stay away for the rest of the time Zain and Gemma were here. It wouldn't be hard, with his schedule and Max. And group outings would be fine, Gemma's ever watchful eyes making it impossible to misbehave.

💟

lol complete idiot that i am i thought i had published two more chapters than i actually had 🤦🏻‍♀️

sorry for the wait...