25

"Hey," Zain says, looking up from where he is lounging on the couch when Harry comes in. He has some sort of superhero movie on and his feet on Harry's coffee table like he was at home. "Where where you?" he looks mildly curious, turning his attention back towards the film.

"Boyfriend's," Harry says, hoping his voice sounds normal.

Zain only hums in acknowledgement, patting the couch next to him, not taking his eyes off the telly.

Harry hesitates for a moment but he's missed Zain. He lets himself fall onto the couch beside Zain, leaning his head on Zain's shoulder. "Whatcha watching?"

Zain pulls Harry slightly closer, pressing his cheek against Harry's hair, relaxing further into the cushions. "Deadpool," Zain answers, looking dispassionately at the violence on screen. "It's funny."

"Ok," Harry says sceptically. "Wanna talk about it?"

"Deadpool?" Zain asks. "Not particularly."

Harry sighs, not sure if Zain is being obtuse on purpose. "Your breakup," Harry says.

"Not particularly," Zain shrugs.

"Alright," Harry says, wincing at the sudden explosion on screen. "Where's Gemma?"

"Dunno," Zain shrugs, nuzzling Harry's hair like he's grateful Harry is not pushing him. With Gemma as best friend, he probably was. She always thought she was right and that her approach was the best and also he only correct one. "I think she forgot her moisturiser or something."

Harry hums in acknowledgment and tries to understand what is happening on screen. The front door opens while Harry is still trying to figure out the appeal of the movie, Gemma making her noisy entrance. "I'm back," she yells. "I hope you're not moping in bed!"

Zain huffs a breath, ruffling Harry's hair. "Living room!" he yells.

"Moping on the sofa is no better," Gemma yells back, her shoes thumping against the wall.

She shoots Harry a pointed look when she comes into the living room. Harry pretends not to see it. He likes cuddling his friends, and Zain was first and foremost his friend. So what if Zain's hand was a bit higher on his thigh than perhaps appropriate. They had had sex, so obviously their boundaries were a bit less strict than with other people. It had nothing to do with the fact that Harry has been thinking about sucking Zain's cock way too much. A lot more than he should considering that he had a perfectly nice and very hot boyfriend.

"You're back," she says, putting her hands on her hips. "Have you started lunch? It's getting late."

"No," Zain says in a tone of voice like she's asked him that way too often already. "Don't stress. The movie's almost done."

"Alright, I'll be right down," Gemma says pointedly.

"Why is she so worried about you eating?" Harry asks suspiciously as soon as Gemma is trudging up the stairs, making more noise than a small person like her should be able to make.

"Just cause I forgot like once," Zain shrugs, which is probably a lie. "So," he adds. "I have to admit, I am very disappointed to discover your pictures have been a lie. You have carbs and dairy in your fridge, not only green smoothies."

Harry snorts. "We can change that if you'd rather," he grins. "Anything to make my guest happy."

"Don't you dare. They look disgusting. Is it really kale in it?"

"Sometimes," Harry laughs. "Oh! We can try a different one every day. Maybe you'll like them. Or one of them."

"Don't you dare," Zain repeats, poking Harry's side painfully.

Harry squeaks involuntarily, biting Zain's shoulder slightly in retaliation. "It can be an adventure," he says. "The tale of the green smoothies."

"Sounds awful," Zain snorts, grinning down at Harry. His eyes are crinkling and he looks happy and mischievous, making Harry's stomach flutter.

He bites his lips and pulls away. He shouldn't let himself enjoy Zain's closeness like this. It wasn't fair to Max and also not to himself.

He gets up instead, squeezing Zain's hand. "I'm gonna get started on lunch."

"Thanks, babe," Zain says, distracted, and Harry rolls his eyes at himself when his heart skips a beat. He's an idiot.

In the kitchen, he turns on the music just a bit too loudly and starts cutting the vegetables a bit too aggressively. He should break up with Max, it wasn't fair to him. Two minutes next to Zain and Harry had almost forgotten that he had a boyfriend again even though he's been kissing him not even an hour earlier and that had been nice.

But Zain hadn't seemed to be bothered, indifferent and focussed on his so why give up on something good. He'd get over Zain, one way or another, and really. Keeping Max would be a good excuse not to end up Zain's rebound, he's not sure he'd have the self-control otherwise. He wrinkles his nose at himself, not liking how calculating his thoughts have turned.

"What are we making?" Gemma, thankfully not Zain, rips him from his thoughts.

Harry shrugs, looking at the assortment of messily cut vegetables in front of him. "Stir fry?" he asks more than says.

"Sounds good," Gemma yawns, pulling her shoulder gently against his.

💟

loves, i love all your comments and votes, sorry i'm not responding individually atm. but i appreciate each and every single one 💖