Chapter 22

(Ceres Galliot, Interstellar Space)

Rocket Raccoon remained sleepless when his fellow teammates were sleeping at every bunk of the ship. He looked at them one by one and heard Drax's loud heavy snore when he got annoyed. Groot peacefully sat on his seat and closed his eyes. Mantis slept at the other room. Quill and Gamora shared the same room. On the other hand, Tengfei the Kree Voidwalker slept and lied down at the tatami mat in his room, also loudly snoring like Drax. Another fellow Kree, Anna-26 was lying on the other bunk and talking to her dreams.

Rocket got freaked out and saw them how they were sleeping. This time, he wondered where Chris Halsey and Rtas Vadum had gone when he continued walking at the hallway. He carefully stepped on the wall without making loud noises for his fellows in deep slumber. Finally, he saw the Sangheili man staring at the window and the Spartan-II who leaned himself on the wall and sat down on the floor. The furry animal felt sorry for the two men who had lost their fellow soldiers in the midst of chaos. He deeply thought in what to say and cleared his throat. The two looked at him with their sullen faces.

" Is this the right time to talk to you guys? " he asked.

" Do tell, " Chris sadly answered.

" We are listening, " R'tas emotionlessly added, still looking at the window.

" Okay, how should I start, " Rocket scratched his head and rolled his eyes which it took a long time for him to compose his thoughts. Chris and R'tas waited for him to speak up. Rocket became more tensed when they turned their attention to him and shrugged. " Okay, okay, you are waiting for me to say anything. Honestly, I'm not even used to do this. That's why I took a thousand light years to confess. Guys, I'm sorry I have been acting like a complete jerk these days. It's just that something's wrong with me when I came here. "

" Don't tell me, you and Drax had a big argument with your gambling and greed issues, " Chris blandly answered.

" I got carried away with it, like I was struggling how to keep up with you guys. I just didn't know how to adjust myself despite of my sudden outbursts of anger. "

" You have been so angry, haven't you? " R'tas asked.

" Yeah..." Rocket embarrassingly spoke. " I was so angry at my friend who's kinder and more considerate than me. I became so jealous and envious at him. Then, I dragged the whole team to my damn misery. Look, I dragged all of you into this. That's why some of you got annoyed at me. I realized that this situation is very hopeless and I have made it even worse. I'm supposed to be an intelligent one in the team, but I have become absurd and selfish because of greed. "

The Sangheili man looked curious and turned to the Spartan-II when Chris had understood what the talking furry one meant. Rocket Raccoon sadly sighed and bowed his head in shame when the two opposite beings turned their attention to him. It was the first time they heard the rascal raccoon turned out to be sincere.

" You know I completely understood how you guys were once enemies. You have fought each other to deaths, just like in my days. You lost your important loved ones, but you just admitted to yourselves that you have one common enemy which you and I are looking after. "

" The Covenant, " the two men spoke in unison.

" It's not just them, but the one who destroyed the human's home world in his single act. Quill just found out the truth from this timeline. Then, you made a lot of chaos. I'm sorry if you lost them because of your wars, " he continued. " I don't know if you're gonna help us or what, but I hope you have heard enough from me."

R'tas and Chris-77 remained silent and turned to each other after the talking furry animal had ended his confession. Suddenly, they all heard a sudden explosion behind the ship when the three covered their ears.