Chapter 16: A Fly On the Wall

Maneuvering the anxious chefs and their ferocious dishes, I managed to ignore the rancid stares and ruthless insults coming in way.

Meanwhile, I kept track of the heels of Jerry's feet as they scraped against the damp surface of the floor. Just then, my hand bumped into someone's shoulder.  "Excuse me," I murmured quietly.

I kept moving until I saw two shadowed figures, whose feet remained perfectly still near the garbage dump. The one on the left was Jerry while the one on the right was the man who somehow knew him.

Without making a sound, I pressed both of my hands against the black door then found myself in a dreary alley. There, I would find a perfect hiding place behind the garbage can.

The plump man who looked like he is worth a thousand bucks, took out his fat cigar, placed it in his mouth, and rummaged his sausage fingers into his pockets for a lighter. Politely, Jerry reached into his jeans pocket and pulled out a small silver box then handed it to him.

"Here," he insisted. "Take it." The plump man snatched it from his hand, lit the tip of the cigar, and tossed it back to him. "Why did you come here?" the man asked snidely. "Did the job turned out to be a complete waste of your time?" Jerry rolled his eyes.

What job? I thought. "It was already taken care of," he replied. "The box is nowhere to be found." The plump man laughed as if he was telling a joke. "Tell that the news," he sneered, pulling a folded newspaper from his pocket.

Jerry's eyes widened as the man unfolded the sheets of inked paper and showed him the front cover. It had a photo of the burnt car and the Khan's withered corpse. Above it are dark letters sprinkled on the page.

"Washington Heat?" Jerry read. Even I wrinkled my nose: It's a terrible name for a newspaper. "Yeah," the man whistled. "My boys and I are surprised that a sixteen year old dishwasher somehow couldn't follow my orders."

No way, I covered my mouth to contain my laughter. Jerry, the most arrogant, popular kid in school, washes dishes? Paige and Jared wouldn't believe it if I had told them. "Again Mr. Pao," Jerry sighed. "I am very sorry, I am trying to keep up-"

"Save your excuses for another time, Mr. Terrence." Mr. Pao interrupted. "We are very disappointed in you. I think I should cut your pay-" "Didn't I tell you I am already rich?" Jerry snapped. "I don't want the crappy money, I want the goods."

"What?" I whispered to myself. Mr. Pao reached into his coat pocket then pulled out a small, white bag. Without a warning, Jerry snatched the sack then walked away. Mr. Pao and I stared at him in disbelief.

Discreetly, I went back into the kitchen and head back to the dining room. In the middle of the room, Jared is still sitting anxiously in our table, staring down at his empty plate.  As soon as he saw me, I had already sat down and ate my cold broth.

"It took you that long to go to the bathroom?" Jared asked. I nodded very carefully, hoping that he didn't see through my deception. "The line was long," I lied nervously. After dinner, Jared paid the meal and then we left the restaurant.

Like a ninja, the moon peered out of the dark clouds and shone its milky light down at us. The expensive cars suddenly vanished without a trace. It almost sounded as if the moon is expecting us to say something.

"Thank you for the dinner," I said politely. "It was nice." Jared smiled embarrassingly then scratched his head. "Thanks," he replied. But as soon as we got to the truck, Jared said something that made my heart sank.

"I love you," he admitted. My face fall flat and my stomach felt queasy. I absolutely don't know what to say other than, I know. "I loved you since the third grade," Jared continued. "Oh," I say hesitantly.

That's when he took both of my hands then knelt to the ground. "I want you to have this," Jared began, reaching into his pocket. "Uh, Jared-" I started to say something until I saw a small purple box.

Obviously, it was a ring. Jared opened the box and showed me a silver ring with a beautiful ruby on it. "Jared," I breathed. "It's beautiful, but-" "There is something I want to tell you," he interrupted. "Will you be my-"

"STOP RIGHT THERE!" someone cried. "Huh?" we both cried in unison. Sitting right next to us, is Uncle Seth sitting in the backseat. He wore his white t-shirt and long pajamas.

Jared looked at my uncle in confusion while I buried my face in my hands. Has he been following us? I seriously wanted to puke. "Mr. Hamilton?" Jared asked. "What are you doing here?" Ignoring his question, Uncle Seth shook his head sadly.

"At first, I was pretty cool with you two dating," he began. "But now-" "This isn't what it looks like!" I shrieked. Uncle Seth gave me a deadpan look. "Jared was kneeling on the ground, claiming you to be his wife!"

"Oh, gross!" Jared cried, closing the box. "This isn't a wedding ring!" But Uncle Seth rolled his eyes. "Tell it to the judge, Pretty Little Liar. Cleo, get your Disney Princess butt in the car! I am taking you home!"

Uncle Seth never stalks me before...which could mean one thing! "Did Dad made you stalk me?" I shrieked. The corners of his cheeks turned red as Uncle Seth bit his lip. "You have got to be kidding me?" I groaned.

"This isn't a wedding ring," Jared insisted, clearly annoyed. "It is a promise ring!" Uncle Seth and I stared at him in wonder. "So, you weren't trying to propose to me?" I asked slowly. He shook his head furiously.

"Why would I propose to you?" Jared asked. "We're both sixteen!" Without a warning, I slapped him across the face.