Chapter 14: Papa Bear

Cole punched me on the shoulder in annoyance. "You scared the life out of me, Ben!" she scowled. Unable to wipe away my grin, I kissed her forehead then rested my hand against her cheek.

"Sorry," I admitted. "I'm just happy to get out of work so I can see my beautiful wife." I saw her cheeks turning bright red then smiled. "Don't do it ever again, stupid." Cole sighed. "Anyway, about Jared-"

I broke away from the embrace then moaned. "Ugh," I grunted. "Seriously?" Cole crossed her arms then bobbed her head up and down. "Yes, Ben." she answered sternly. "We talked about this on the phone, remember?"

I rolled my eyes. She was beginning to sound like an impatient child. "Okay," I said finally. "Do I have to drive them?" Cole shook her head and told me that Jared is picking Cleo up.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked. "The last thing I need is another explosion." "Yes," Cole moaned for the umpteenth time. "Cleo is desperate to talk to Jared ever since the museum bombing and we need to support her."

On cue, Cleo came downstairs with a tired look on her face. Wanting to get some answers, I told her come over and ask if the whole shenanigan is true. "Yes," Cleo answered. "Jared asked me out a lunch today."

A puzzled look came across my face. "Did he ask you why?" Cleo shrugged her shoulders. "He wanted to tell me something important," she said. "I already know he has a crush on me or something, but I pretended to be dumb."

My eyes widened at my daughter's response. "You knew that he liked you?" "I knew since third grade," Cleo responded. I looked at her for a moment then back to my wife, who shrugged in response.

"Do you know what you want to say to him?" Cole asked suddenly. Cleo tilted her head sideways, unsure what she meant, so I said it in a different way: "When you are going to the restaurant with Jared, what are you going to say to him?"

"I want us to be friends," Cleo said. "I also want Jared to at least notice Paige and his family trying to connect with him. "That's sweet, Cleo." I began. "But you don't have to be involved in Jared's life all the time, you need to be involved with yours."

Cole nodded in agreement then peered down at Cleo. "You are being a very good friend," she insisted. "And we love you for that, but your father is right: Jared is facing an internal problem that you couldn't fix."

Cleo nodded with complete understanding, although I could see some confusion in her eyes. I smiled then told her not to worry about him so much. "Jared can get through this on his own," I say, ruffling her hair. "Just be patient."

"Okay," she said finally. Cole then glanced at the time then back at Cleo: it is almost eight o'clock. "Go upstairs and change," Cole urged. She nodded eagerly and rushed upstairs. I was about to take my shower until Cole stopped my tracks.

"You are going to talk to Jared," she insisted. "Head over to the dining room and wait for him." I stifled a groan, but did what she says. As I waited, I brushed the creases away from my tie then stared at the floor.

Instantly, a knock came on the door and I immediately answered it. In front of the entrance is a young boy with curly dark hair, brown eyes, and a small mole near his mouth.

He wore a clean suit and a shy smile. Behind him is a white truck, sitting across my car. This must be Jared, I thought. "Hello Mr. Hamilton," Jared began. "Is your daughter inside?"

I desperately wanted to slam the door in his face or even lie to him that Cleo is sick, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. "Yes," I said through my clenched teeth. "You can come in."

He nodded eagerly then followed me inside the house. It took Jared awhile for his eyes to adjust the vivid living room: the floor is slicked with lemon scented wax, the walls were slathered in a tan brown color, and the furniture is dust free.

I led him to the dining table where we sat down and wait for Cleo to come downstairs. I watched Jared tap his foot anxiously while stared at the chandelier. After a few minutes went by, I started to speak.

"I heard you are taking my daughter to a restaurant." I began grimacing. "Yeah," Jared nodded. "I think taking her out to dinner is a good thing," I lied. "Do you have your wallet with you?" Jared nodded again. "I have at least sixty dollars in there," he chuckled.

I chuckled nervously. "When are you two going to be home?" "Midnight," Jared answered. "I'm taking her to Red Dragon, it's really cool." I nodded in response. Just then, I heard small feet walking downstairs as Cleo headed over to the table with a shy grin on her face.

Her smooth dark hair is in a complicated bun. Cleo wore a elegant white dress, small black slippers, and a black leather knapsack slung over her arm. I saw makeup applied on her dainty face.

She looked absolutely stunning. "Hey," Cleo beamed. Starstruck, Jared waved then got up to his feet. Somehow they reminded me of myself and Cole when we were kids. "Alright you two," I chuckled.

"Make sure you are not having too much fun." Jared giggled while Cleo rolled her eyes. "Dad!" she moaned. I kissed her on the forehead then leaned over to her ear. "Did you pack pepper spray?" I whispered.

Cleo nodded. "Taser?" I asked. She nodded again. "You're not going to kiss him, are you?" I asked. She blushed fiercely then shook her head. "Dad!" she hissed. "Time to go," Jared called, leaning his back against the door.

Sighing, Cleo kissed my cheek then trailed after Jared. Unable to contain my anxiety, I went outside and called Jared over to have one last talk. Unquestionably, he came over with a happy smile on his face.

"Sure, what is it?" he asked. "Nothing," I shrugged. "I want you to have a great time with Cleo, but if something bad happens to her, I will make your life a living hell."

Jared's smile suddenly turned into a shocked look. He swallowed a gulp then nodded very slowly. Cleo, who was standing next to Jared's car, stormed over to the front doorstep then took him by the arm.

"Let's go, Jared." Cleo laughed nervously. She gave me a cold stare before storming over to his white truck. I watched as Jared hopped into the truck and backed out of the driveway.