Chapter 15: Part one// "Happy birthday you poor excuse for a brother"

My legs are crossed as I silently sit on one of our comfortable chairs. I am completely engrossed in a new book and I'm about to reach the climax when I hear Daniel, Aiden, and Alec come trampling down the stairs.

"Cress" Daniel shouts the second he sees me. I carefully place the book down and try and make a slick escape but Daniel throws his weight on top of me and the other 2 boys also flatten me.

"You're flattening my boobs," I gasp under the heap of fat boys.

"Happy birthday Cress!" Daniel shouts as loud as he can.

"Lack of oxygen" I wheeze out.

They eventually get off me when I have turned as purple as the day I was born. Aiden holds out his hand to help me up. I happily take it till he slips his hand out my grasp and I slip on to my ass, which makes Aiden laugh.

"You might be one year older but your still as naive as ever"

I get up from the floor rubbing my sore butt and I pull Daniel into a tight hug.

"Happy birthday you poor excuse for a brother"

"Do you know if she's coming home?" He whispers in my ear so quietly that no one but me can hear.

"Tomorrow" I smile. I can't tell if he's happy or angry with my answer, but even though he said he never cared about her, I know he still loves her; well she raised us.

"So where is the birthday cake?" Aiden asks.

"Aiden" Alec scorns.

Daniel looks at his watch in worry.

"We need to go and meet Elliott and Conner in 10 minutes"

"Why?" I ask slightly annoyed that they are leaving.

"Because we need to buy as much alcohol as we can legally buy"

"Your not legally allowed to buy any alcohol" I reply rolling my eyes.

"Sorry I meant as much alcohol as we can illegally buy" Aiden smirks at me.

There is no point in asking what it's for; obviously for one of the biggest house parties of the year that will be hosted by me and Daniel (I am being forced in to this situation).

Almost as soon as they have left Emily arrives holding a gigantic box that has a red ruffled bow placed on the top "Happy birthday" She squeals dropping the huge present and embracing me in a hug.

"I can't even explain how excited I am for tonight, everyone is so hyped up about it" For some reason she looks happier than usual. Something must have happened.

"Emily why are you smiling so much you look like you're about to start farting rainbows"

"Daniel went to Aribella's house last night and literally blew up at her about what happened, from what I heard it really kicked off"

My eyes widen at every word that falls out her mouth and my heart swells up. I know what Daniel is like when he is angry and it's not pretty, he probably got that from our father.

"Who knew Daniel could kick ass"

***

"Stop it" I slap Elliott's hand away from my hair. Instead he brings his hand to pull my hair again.

"Do you mind?" I ask him.

"You look so cute with pigtail's"

"It's 2 French braids" I sigh as he fiddles with my hair.