Chapter Fourteen

When we got in, we ordered some pizza and sat with our legs crossed, watching some horror we had found in the DVD collection. It was nice sitting here and spending some time with her without trying to prove anything.

One things for sure, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. She was so focused on the TV, I doubt she even knew I was staring. Which was nice because I could stalk without being creepy. Or is it still creepy?

"Can I ask you a question?" She said, her eyes still focused on the screen.

"Of course, as long as it's a good one!" I joked. She smiled, a small breath escaping her mouth as she tried to keep her laugh in. 

"Of course."

"Then ask away" I said.

Her hair outlined the sharpness of her jaw. Dimples poked her cheeks as she kept her smile. I think she tried to hide it, but the light from the TV caught her out.

"If you wanted to do something. If you wanted to have something you couldn't have, but you knew if you had it, it would make you the happiest you've ever been. If that something wanted you back but everyone else would take it away. What would you do? Hypothetically, of course."

My feet sunk into the carpet bellow. My stomach also felt like it was drowning, because I knew exactly what she meant. Apart of me wanted to respond with something stupid, because that's what it'd usually be. I'd find something to joke about, but not this time. 

"Sometimes, choices are hard to make and life isn't always easy, but if something makes you that happy and you know you could never find it again, maybe it's worth the consequences...."

Despite everything, being here with her made sense. I had been back forth, not knowing which direction to go. With her, anything was possible. In fact, my feelings were set straight and I knew I wanted her and perhaps she wanted me. One minute, I'm telling myself to let go and the next I'm confused again. After all, love is never a straight forward line.

"Maybe you're right." She said. "...I'll think about it. Thank you." 

Last night was special and this morning was different. The day felt odd. Like something was wrong. 

I entered the kitchen as normal, throwing myself around like the world was crumbling down on me. Lack of sleep did that to you. It made you feel irritated. 

I sat down and felt eyes boring into me when I did. My dad shook his head and smirked in my direction, his ankles crossed slightly as he leaned against the kitchen sink.

"You were never the morning person." He mocked. 

I smiled to myself, picking up the jug of water from the table and poured it into the glass in front. 

"Well, how can you blame me when I have to wake up to you." 

"Ouch" His hand went to his chest as his poured his usual coffee into a mug and looked outside. He looked different today, almost...too happy. 

His hair was gelled back smartly, but instead of his usual work attire, he wore a blue buttoned up shirt and black jeans. 

"Sometimes, you really do know how to annoy me!" He continued. 

His hand nudged me as he walked around the table and looked into the cupboard. He had the day off work, which was unusual. He never liked taking time off work, especially since he had some 'savings' to do. Whatever that meant.

My feet played with the table leg as I waited nervously on the seat. I hadn't seen Evelyn all morning. After last night, I was hoping we'd get another chance to speak again, just us two. Yet, as soon as she went to bed, I didn't hear a single thing.