Chapter Nineteen:I'm Glammed Up Like I'm Guest Starring On A YouTube Tutorial

Chapter Nineteen: I'm Glammed Up Like I'm Guest Starring On A YouTube Tutorial

Cole

One of the things that I love so much about my gorgeous girl is how much she trusts her own instincts. It may not have always been that way and if I ever get my hands on the people who ever made her question herself, I'd do bad unspeakable things to them, real bad. But she's at a place in her life right now where she knows to trust her guts and that it never leads her astray. Usually I'm her biggest champion and push her to never doubt herself but right now? Right now I'd be pretty thrilled if she weren't so sure of herself.

"Something's going on and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out."

"Hmm, I have no idea what you're talking about."

I've become weak and I'm going to blame it on being a lovesick idiot. Back in the good old days, it'd take me considerably less effort to fool people, Tessie included. I'd been a master manipulator, a liar the likes of you which you'd never encountered in your life and I would do it so smoothly you'd never even realise it until I'd already been and gone. How do you think I managed to get out military school in three years instead of four?

But that's not the point, the point is I'm sweating like a pig on its way to the slaughterhouse because I've worked way too hard on this day for it to not go as planned.

"I'll figure it out eventually and probably kick myself for not seeing it earlier but still it's so frustrating."

"I think you're really overthinking things aren't you? It's just a simple pre-wedding party that some of your dad's friends are throwing for him. Why does it have to be suspicious?"

"Multiple reasons, starting with the fact that the bride herself is stranded at a conference in New Haven and might not even make it back on time."

That really did throw a spanner in the works but I've got it covered.

"Your dad sent her a car and the roads will probably start to clear up sometime this afternoon so she'll be here, don't worry."

"And why is everyone obsessed with dressing me? My mother's sent over at least ten different options that I don't need and Beth insists she needs to do my makeup because I still do mine like I'm in the seventh grade, which by the way is so offensive."

I laugh at how worked up she's getting about this and at the same time try and hide my nervousness. Everyone's chipping in to help me out today and I know a lot of it depends on how I handle Tessa's question. She's way too smart, too curious to ever be caught completely by surprise but a man's got to try.

"I need to head out soon, go check on some last minute vendor issues your dad wants me to look at but I'll be back soon okay?" She's way too tempting right now, lying in her bed, the one we shared last night and looking sexy and mussed up because of me and my wandering hands. She wouldn't really allow things to get too heated up under her dad's roof but we messed around plenty and remembering it is making it difficult for me to move my feet and get out of here.

"Do you have to? Doesn't he have people who work for him to handle these things?"

I shrug, the lie rolling off of my tongue easily. "He says he trusts me more and since everything is so last minute he doesn't want anyone overcharging you know? He thinks the fact that I'm in law school will stop them from trying to fraud him."

She buys my bullshit and I'm eternally thankful for it.

"Well hurry back, we'll have an empty house to ourselves for a while and I've got ways to capitalise on that."