Chapter Three: You're An Ovary Whisperer

(Dying over this fan edit!! I know I'm not the only one, *cries*) 

Chapter Three: You're an Ovary Whisperer 

I don't have a history of doing well with the first day starting anything new. You bet I cried my eyes out when I first started kindergarten and to be completely honest, I may or may not have been close to tears during the first days of every new school that followed, yes even high school. I don't like change, I don't like that fear and the anxiety that comes with not knowing if you'll have someone to sit with at lunch. Many a times I'd be the girl hunched down in a bathroom stall during the lunch break because at the time it seemed infinitely more embarrassing to be sitting alone in the cafeteria. New places, new people, fresh starts? I haven't had the best history with them and I don't think that's going to change soon. I don't have the kind of personality that attracts people to them. I want to appear friendly and I want to make new friends but that is a lot harder when your people skills stopped developing at age six. Or at least that's what I think happened to me, science and medical research can do their best to prove otherwise.

"I'm going to puke."

I actually do think I will. I'm currently curled up on the bathroom floor, hugging the bathtub and pressing the side of my face to the cool surface. I've been like this for the past hour, ever since I got way earlier than the time I'd set my alarm for. In fact I'd been tossing and turning the entire night, my nerves having gotten the better of me.

Beside me, the light of my life, the only person who understands why on earth I look deathly pale and risk throwing up my insides out the day I'm supposed to start a new job, crouches down and runs a hand through my matted hair.

"How about I make you a cup of tea? It'll settle your stomach."

"I don't think I can eat or drink anything right now."

"What about a bath? It'll help calm you down."

"You could try but," I moan and clutch my stomach, "I doubt it'll help. You know this always end up happening to me."

"I do but I also know that you never let your nerves get the best of you. We've got a couple of hours to go till you're supposed to show up to work. We've got this Tessie, come on let me help you up."

I take solace in his embrace as he literally lifts me from the floor and sets me on the sink counter. While he runs a bath, I also hear him run off to put on the kettle and I use that time to attempt to pull myself together. I'd been dreading this Monday ever since I realised that there is supposed to be an actual point to applying for jobs. Your application doesn't disappear into thin air. For some unfathomable reason, if someone decides to hire you, you've got to show up.

After my interview, where I'd gone in with chipped nail polish and mascara smudged halfway down my face. They must have been pretty desperate to fill the position if the hired me because working at a beauty magazine? Yeah, I'm not the most suited to the job.