Chapter Four: Do You Own A Suspiciously Oversized Trench Coat?

(Almost 10 days till TBBG releases! I'm so, so excited for you all to read the new, exclusive content!!!) Pre-order page is linked in the external link <3 

Chapter Four: Do You Own A Suspiciously Oversized Trench Coat?

"How was your day?"

"Fine."

"And how was work?"

"Okay."

"Did you make friends?"

"It's work, not kindergarten. I don't think making friends is a requirement."

"Okay. Well, did you get the food shopping PDF I sent over? It's really helpful for placing weekly orders and..."

"My boss refuses to give me more than twenty minutes to have lunch. I get home close to ten at night and then I'm out the door by seven o'clock the next morning. So far ramen's my best bet."

"Oh Tessa, honey that's horrific. You should complain to HR."

"I don't think it's works that way here mom. Everyone has the same working hours as I do and no one seems to be bothered by it. I don't want to be the whiny new girl."

"It's still highly inappropriate for them to work you so hard. There are laws about these kinds of things you know."

Maybe those laws would be helpful if I hadn't signed my employment agreement when I'd still been hungover from celebrating Beth's birthday.

"It's okay. All the girls I work with say that it gets better with time. The more you prove to the big man that you're okay with sleep deprivation becoming a regular way of life, the more they decide to take pity on you."

She makes a tsk-ing sound at the back of her throat and I imagine her sitting in one of the many rooms in her mansion back home in Connecticut. She'd be touching her pearl necklace, taking deep breaths and fidgeting with the need to control this situation but would also be agitated by the fact that she couldn't do something about it.

"I've said this before and I'll say it again Tess, Ray would love to have you work for him."

I roll my eyes, a habit I know will send her anxiety and twitching into hyperdrive could she me but this is indeed the millionth time she's suggested that I work for her current boyfriend and the owner of the multi-million dollar mansion she's been living in for the past two years. I didn't question her when she chose to move back, so close to our hometown a couple of years ago but the fact that she came with a millionaire in tow said a lot about the bitter feelings she still has towards my dad.

My dad who has been there for me way more than she has. But I regress, she's trying she really is and maybe pushing me to accept a handout from Ray is her way of telling me that she loves me.