Chapter Seven: My Confidence Shrivelled Up Like A Prune

(The TBBG Valentine's Day One Shot Contest+ Giveaway in now up on my profile! Enter for a chance to win a personalised ebook!)

Chapter Seven: My Confidence Shrivelled Up Like A Prune

I make it to the hotel with minutes to spare, nearly jumping out the car and definitely teaching a young, impressionable child all the wrong things about road safety. I'd heard Laney ask Cole if, 'the weird lady is okay' and I'm not sure what he said. I'd been too busy clutching on to my heels for dear life and running around the lobby like a crazy person.

Of course Leila gave me the wrong time.

Of course I actually had more than enough time to get there.

I stew over this during our dinner with representatives from the makeup brand we're covering. Amy takes the lead and Leila and I only occasionally get to offer our input so I find myself tuning out more so than ever. It's been such a strange day and were it not for the post dinner coffee holding me up, I'm afraid I would have collapsed and slobbered on the Chanel clad shoulder of my newest work acquaintance. Then where would we be with this particular work trip?
I try not to dwell on it too much as we say our goodbyes until the big event.

First official adult task of the day? Completed and I only sweated a teeny tiny bit through it. Thank God for breathable fabric.

"So, you two, " Amy turns to us once once our guests have dropped us back off at the hotel and we've waved to their car. "I don't know what's going on or why you seem so chipper but, " she comes close and it' as if she's peering right into our very souls, "mess this up for me and you'll be out on your asses on the concrete before you can pencil in any of your personal massages. Got it?"

I gulp, "Yes ma'am."

Beside me, Leila is nodding her head vigorously. Amy's menacing glare turns into a smile, "Good job today. I expect more of the same the next couple of days."

With that she waltzes away as if she hasn't just scared the living daylights out of me.

"What do you think gave us away?" I ask Leila, without moving an inch, as if Amy would turn around any second, fists flying and firing me from my first every big girl job.

"Oh I don't know, maybe it was the fact that you nearly glared a hole in my face during dinner." She hisses.

"Jeez really? I thought it was when you 'accidentally' switched Amy's gluten free pizza with mine and made her think I wanted her to have a particularly horrible time in the toilet."

She shrugs, "It made things interesting."

"Well, you could at least thank me for the dress." I stare at the navy knee length dress that has an extremely deep v-neckline that had one of our the representatives staring at her cleavage all through dinner.