Chapter Ten:You've Gotten Yourself A Boyfriend Not A Lobotomy

Chapter Ten: You've Gotten Yourself A Boyfriend Not A Lobotomy

Tessa

Over the last six months my life has tilted on its axis once again. Earlier when I'd moved to New York alone I thought that would be my one great move for the next couple of years. However when I found myself moving first to London a couple of months into my job at Venus and them to Chicago to pursue my dream career and me closer to my boyfriend, I realised that I'm not quite the pro at it like I think I am. I try to not let Cole see that I'd struggled to feel at home my first month here and that sometimes my job got a little too overwhelming because I'm not going to be that scared little college girl who needs to be close to her boyfriend all the time because she doesn't have it in her to meet new people or settle into the routine of a new place.

So I put on my big girl panties and shrugged off any lingering doubts and fears about the move and jumped headfirst into my new job and new life here once the initial funk wore of. My job as an editorial assistant at Peak Publishing is also a more glorified version of the poor intern you have running around in circles trying to do menial tasks. I'd struggled at first to deal with the change because I'd gone from having a lot of creative control and say in the magazine to now being reduced to a lowly assistant whose main task was to get battle it out with the printer on our floor because that sucker is always out of ink.

I've gotten used to it now, even relishing the day to day grunt work because six months later I also get to work on more exciting things, on finding books and going through manuscripts that I can recommend to my editor. It's a fascinating experience because no two books will be the same and seeing someone's passion come into fruition in the form of a book has to be one of the most satisfying feelings ever.

Speaking of, "I'll email you the files and we can start working on the first round of edits. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to pass them on to Kevin."

Kevin is my boss and the editor that I currently work under. This role is new for him too since he'd just been promoted when I joined so we're grown together and I've learned so much from him. He's as passionate about books as you would expect and instead of being overbearing or obnoxious, he's taken me under his wing and taught me everything that he knows. According to him I needed to go through the phase of everybody treating me like I'm their own personal space because a) it would help build character or so he claims and b) it'd get it out of everyone's system so that I would be treated with more respecting going forward.

He seems to be right.

One of our most stellar clients, Wyatt stops by my cubicle to chat after he's just had his meeting and I give him the run down for the next couple of weeks as he embarks on the tough but rewarding editing process. I can't help but cringe at what went down this weekend and I'm still mad at Cole for how he acted. Wyatt may be a nice guy and a complete gentleman but just because we got lucky doesn't mean that my boyfriend gets off the hook.

"Yeah, we've talked about the timeline and deliverables. I'll email you my calendar and you can schedule the next meeting whenever Kevin's free."

"Will do. Oh and Wyatt? I'm sorry again about this weekend. Cole doesn't usually act like that and I'm not making excuses for his behaviour but please know he feels terrible about what he said."

I'm not exactly sure if that's true but if I need to rebuild a good relationship with this guy then I will lie like my life depends on it.

"Hey, don't worry about it. I understand why he might have reacted like that and I don't hold it against him. I've already forgotten about it and so should you."