18.

I called a cab as I made my way through the winding halls of the hospital, seeing it pull up to the entrance as soon as I walked outside. I climbed in and told the driver my address. I sat back and closed my eyes on the drive, thinking over everything from today. I haven't even had time to process the whole Kaleb cheating thing. Still wondering why I never picked up on any of the signs. Was I that naieve? Then there was Harry's hug and his confession that I make him feel calmer, which made my heart race. And then my stupid mind of course jumps to the conclusion that he's just saying that and doesn't mean it. I hate myself sometimes. Of course he means it. Im just so glad Caroline is going to be alright. She may have to be on oxygen permanently but that's nothing compared to what could have happened. I will definitely make sure I stop over to see her tomorrow.

The cab driver calls out to me when we reach my apartment and I pay him and thank him as I step out, closing the door as quietly as I could. The night, or now early morning since it was almost one, was a little chilly and I hug my jacket around me as I walked up to the building. It was quiet though. Eerily silent as no bugs, no cars, no anything made a sound. It creeped me out. I was glad to make it inside and see the security guard that always sat at the small desk by the door. I waved to him, I think his name was William. I tap my foot impatiently as the elevator climbs higher and higher, screeching to a stop once we reached my floor.

I reach the door and slowly slide the key in, turning it as quietly as I could, not wanting to wake up Kaleb. I open the door slowly, a small amount of light coming from the living room. I set down my bag and keys on the table next to the door and I tip toe towards the living room, wanting to shut the light out before I go to bed.

I don't even make it two steps into the living room before I'm slammed up against he wall, a strong hand around my throat. I could barely get any air past my lips and I found myself gasping. My heart was racing as I took in Kalebs enraged face.

"What the hell is this Maci!!" I whimper, trying to shrink away but can't since I'm being held to the wall. "What is this?" He shoves his phone in my face, "did you have fun at the hospital with your friend?" He practically spits when he says the word friend. He starts scrolling through photos of Harry and I, of us hugging in the hallway, and some of us in the cafeteria, looking way to intimate. Those must have been taken when he was telling me how I made him feel, it was he only time he was looking at me with any sort of admiration. I try to swallow, which was hard, I needed up making a loud gulping sound.

Kaleb let's go of my neck and I hunch over, my hand automatically going up to my neck as I suck on air. I feel light headed and weak but I can't be. I can't let him think I'm weak.

"Explain Maci!" I jump at how loud Kalebs voice was. How our neighbors didn't hear was beyond me. Anger suddenly flared through me, hearing him get mad at me for being friendly with Harry while he was off doing god knows what with God knows how many people.

"I don't have to explain anything!" I yell, standing up straight, my hands on my hips. "Why don't you explain to me why you were with some blonde at a club last weekend?"

Stinging. Burning. Throbbing is what I felt after Kalebs hand connects with the side of my face. My neck snaps to the side as I already feel the blood dripping from my lip. I reach up and run my finger along my lip, having it come back bloody.

"Ha! I thought it was that pretty little friend of yours I saw" he laughs, actually laughs. He doesn't deny it though which makes me sick. I hate him. The year and a half of taking his shit, of being yelled at for no reason, of being put down and made to feel like I'm worthless. It ends tonight. I can't take it anymore. I don't know why I put up with it for so long.