chapter 2 | safe & sound

Azalea tiptoed into her entrance as she opened the door, hoping to make as little noise as she entered the house

Azalea tiptoed into her entrance as she opened the door, hoping to make as little noise as she entered the house. As she silently made her way to the stairs, a voice all too familiar to her called her name from the kitchen.

"Azalea Rose, is that you?" her father called out from the kitchen.

She quickly and silently tried to place her guitar and bag by the stairs to not make noise and blow her cover. She walked to the kitchen, where her dad, Tomas, was making dinner as Mags sat in one of the chairs in the counter.

"Hi dad, Mags" Azalea says as she enters the kitchen, trying to act casual as she planted a kiss on her dads cheek and another on Mags. "Oh it smells delicious, what are you making?" Azalea innocently said hoping to avoid the incoming questioning of her tardiness.

"We're making Salmon with- thats not important now where do you come from?" Tomas replied as he locked eyes with Mags, realising he was being played by his daughter.

"Well I finished work by the dock, and then we all went and hang by the beach, and now I'm here!" Azalea grinned.

"It's almost dark outside Azalea" Tomas argued, as he cut some vegetables.

"I know, we lost track of time. Won't happen again" Azalea sheepishly defended as she smiled towards her dad.

"Yea no, that was the third time this week. You need to be more cautious, I was about to send a search party out for you" He joked, although his eyes had a glint of seriousness as he stared back at his daughter.

Tomas loved his daughter. She was the most important thing in the world for him. It had always been just the two of them, as Azaleas mother died when giving birth. Azalea, like a burst of sunlight breaking through the clouds, arrived into Tomas's life, saving him from the abyss that threatened to consume him after losing the love of his life.

Haunted by the harrowing memories of the Hunger Games, He had endured the worst that the Capitol had to offer, and in every decision he made, lingered an unspoken promise to ensure Azalea's safety at all costs. His every decision and sacrifice were anchored in the fierce protection of her innocence. Now that she was 15, any small mistake could increase her chances of entering the games, making him the overprotective father he is.

"Hey you know how much Finnick loves the water, it's almost impossible to leave on time. If anything it was his fault I got here late" She half-lied as her dad rolled his eyes. It wasn't a lie Finnick loved the water, but he had been the one to get her back earlier than she would've wanted. But her dad loved Finnick so a little white lie could do no harm to get her out of trouble.

"Is Finnick ever not with you?" Tomas questioned, eyeing his daughter as she grabbed a potato chip.

"You were the one that asked me to be-friend the poor guy." Azalea retorted back.

"Well he is a lot better behaved than those two other kids you're friends with, Trishia and Lukka."

"So you'd rather me be with them or Finnick? You're so confusing dad"