chapter 5 | the name of the game

Azalea lay in bed, with Azalea in hand, after having returned home from her afternoon at the beach with her best friend

She sighed as she stared at the flower in her palm, the echoes of the day at the beach with Finnick played in her mind like a soft melody. Yet, amidst the laughter and camaraderie, a subtle undercurrent of uncertainty lingered.

"You're as beautiful as this flower, Azalea."

Had Finnick really called her beautiful?

It wasn't the first time Finnick had complimented her. His charm and flirtatious nature were part of his persona, especially in the company of their friends. Yet he would always carry that cheeky grin or smirk of his when he looked at her.

This time, though, felt distinct—more intense, more intimate, more sincere. She wondered if there was a deeper meaning behind his actions. She was sure he had never looked so intently into her eyes before, in such close proximity.

He had beautiful eyes.

"Thank you Finn" Azalea blushed, her voice barely above a whisper as she looked up to meet his gaze, only now realising the close proximity between them. She caught her breath, as the air seemed to crackle with an unspoken tension, giving rise to a gentle flutter in her chest.

Azalea's heart skipped a beat, and she felt a warmth rising to her cheeks. Their eyes locked, and for a brief moment, she thought she noticed a subtle shift in Finnick's gaze. It seemed to drift from her eyes to her lips, but uncertainty clouded her perception.

Azalea stood still, unsure of what to do as they both stared at one another. Did he feel the same?

The same way she had realised she felt for him, only seconds ago?

Before she could dwell on it, Finnick, almost as if sensing her awareness, smoothly pulled back.

"Just speaking the truth, Azi." He said as he retreated a step. His friendly grin had returned, as if nothing out of the ordinary just occurred.

"Well look who has a way with words now." Azalea teased as she smiled towards him, trying to maintain the easy flow of their previously friendly conversation.

"Just learning from the master composer over here" Finnick laughed her way, and she joined in.

"We should start heading back home soon. Tomás said he is making steak tonight" He grinned as he looked over to the setting sun, changing the subject completely as he walked with her back to the sand where their belongings where, their previous scene long forgotten in his eyes as he looked at Azalea.

Azalea traced the contours of the flower as she sighed in bed. A torrent of questions cascaded through her thoughts.

The way he had tucked the Azalea behind her ear and the fleeting gaze that seemed to linger somewhere between her eyes and lips had left her breathless.