chapter 10 | sparks fly

It was currently the middle of the summer, July

It was currently the middle of the summer, July. A few weeks had passed since Finnick's injury from cliff jumping.

Tomas immediately laid down the law to their friend group when he found out about Finnick's injury, sternly informing them that the cliffs were off-limits until further notice.

While he would have preferred to ban the beach altogether, he recognized the futility of such a restriction with two teenagers.

Reluctantly, Azalea and Finnick agreed to his disciplinary measures, seeing as Finnick had just recently healed his ankle. So this past few weeks had been pretty much very calm. Azalea had restarted her routine in full swing after her academy suspension was lifted, and spent most of her time working in the Andersen shop, or helping Trishia out by making bracelets to sell in her mothers store.

One of the best things about summer for Azalea was, Finnick's birthday was in the very first days of July.

Finnick had not said a word to his friends about his upcoming birthday. He did not want them to get him anything, or bring attention to himself.

Yet, Azalea had obviously remembered, and couldn't contain her excitement over her friends birthday.

Last birthday they spent together, which was essentially their first as friends, Finnick had to attend a celebratory Capitol party in his honour.

Finnick was still warming up to Azalea and their friends too. It wasn't until after his 15th birthday that he began to let Azalea and her friends as more than just a companion for amusement and transformed them into the close knit they were all now.

This was their first ever birthday as best friends. She wanted Finnick to have the best day possible, knowing he had been through a lot and was only just now turning 16.

Azalea wanted to throw him a secret birthday party by the beach, decorating their little secret spot, and making him a birthday cake to eat amongst their friends.

Thanks to much begging from Azalea, Lukka and Trishia had promised to help decorating the beach and create a 'magical scenery' for the surprise.

This would leave time for Azalea to focus on her special mission. Making Finnick his birthday cake.

The only small issue, she didn't really know how to bake.

Her father and Mags, considered cooking and baking therapeutic. She always left them to it, and never found herself in a situation where baking was a necessity to learn.

Thankfully, her older neighbour had uncovered a new hobbie. With her help, the plan couldn't go wrong. She loved spending time with Mags, so baking alongside her was the best plan possible.

There was only one puzzle piece remaining for Azalea's mission to go effectively to plan, and throw Finnick an epic surprise party. When could she find a time in which Finnick wouldn't randomly appear by the Willow home in order to bake the cake?