Chapter 92

Ten years later

"Brother Theo! What are you doing out there?!"

I tore my gaze away from the light fluttering of snowflakes and glanced back at our house curiously.

A fiery little girl came flying out the back door with a flurry of blankets.

And before I even knew what had happened, I was bombarded with a pile of soft wool and pulled down to her height by the blanket hooked over my head.

A familiar head of warm hazelnut curls and bright silver eyes popped up into my view with a big pout gracing her lips. Not caring for the fact that I was a full ten years older than her, she harshly scolded, "It's too cold out here! Are you trying to make Mom and Dad worry?"

I chuckled softly at her antics.

Though she was a tad overprotective, I had to admit that it was getting a bit too cold for me to handle, but I honestly liked the snow too much to give it all up.

After all, it was my favorite season.

It was the time of year when all the best things in my life happened.

Getting saved by Mom when I felt like I had hit rock bottom.

Finding Dad who lifted me up more than anyone else.

Meeting Juliette for the very first time, my adorable little sister who could light up anyone's world with a single smile.

Unfortunately, due to the whole fiasco with my biological parents, I lost one of my lungs to the gunshot wound with the bullet just barely dodging all my vital points, making it difficult for me to stay out in the cold for long. I was glad that I managed to miraculously survive the whole ordeal, most likely to Dad's frightening threats to end the careers of any doctors who failed to save me, but I still often found it hard to breathe in freezing temperatures.

I remembered how worried Mom was during the first winter season when I had to deal with only one lung. I had always liked playing in the snow with her and didn't notice how shallow my breathing had become until I suddenly collapsed from lightheadedness.

After that event, Mom and Dad became even more protective over me and forbade me from overexerting myself or staying out for too long. They were so protective that I wasn't even allowed to go outside during the winters unless our family's guards were holding heaters around me from all sides.

I couldn't help grimacing at the memory.

My parents truly were more than just overprotective, but I never held it against them. I knew that they were only like that because of everything that had happened. I remembered how traumatized Mom had been for months after I was shot. How badly she trembled in fear of losing me every time my breathe became a bit too shallow whenever I exerted a bit too much force.

They just didn't want to risk losing me again.

But if I had to go back to that day, I was sure that I would make the same decision again. I would do anything to keep my family safe.

"Hey! Are you even listening to me?!"

I turned my attention back down to my five-year-old little sister, quirking an eyebrow at her dramatic stance with both of her hands propped up against her hips. She stared down at me with a fiery expression as if it would make me back down, but it was honestly more adorable than anything else.

She huffed and quietly grumbled under her breath, "You never listen to me even though I only want what's best for you..."

My eyes widened slightly, not expecting such a sudden confession.