XXIX

I excused myself from Ferran, planting a kiss on his cheek before getting up

I excused myself from Ferran, planting a kiss on his cheek before getting up. I'd hate to ruin such a beautiful moment, but I had something far more important to take care of. I walked down the path by the almond trees, going through the forested patch downstream. I honestly didn't know where I was going to look for him – he could've been anywhere. I guess it was really just meant to be, or I just somehow knew. Besides, the soft sound of the water splashing told me exactly where he was.

Momo was by himself, skipping rocks across the water. He didn't seem to realise I was there. I watched him as he spun rock after rock, each going further and further than the last. Only when the last pebble sank and he turned around did he notice I was there.

"Hey," I muttered, walking over to him with my hands in my pockets.

Momo only grunted. I wrapped my arms around his shoulder.

"I'm sorry about. . . everything," I said. "I wasn't thinking about how you might feel."

"I'd appreciate it if you could be more specific," Momo said, still looking out over the water.

I sighed.

"Well for both arguing with you earlier and kissing him right in front of you," I apologised.

Momo was silent for a while, before he merely shook his head.

"I thought I was going to be mad at you," he said. "But after clearing my head for a while, I realise I can't even afford that. I'm just sad."

I let go of him, letting my hand drop to my side.

"I'm not mad. I'm not jealous – I'm just sad." Momo continued. "I've been thinking a lot about everything – about everyone I've loved and everyone I've lost. My mother. My grandmother. You. And how at the end of it all I'm always left feeling like I never had enough time."

"You still have me," I said.

"But I've already lost you once," he replied. "And I don't want to happen again. But I know that our time is limited, and that just made me realise it's no use fighting – it's childish."

"I'm not leaving you," I told him.

"I'm not saying you are, but I'm no clairvoyant," Momo said. "Besides, everyone will die."

He turned to look at me with those warm hazel eyes of his.

"I love you so much, fighting with you feels like a waste of time," he said. "I know today hasn't been the most. . . harmonious. But I think we should really sit down and talk about our feelings like adults."

"Or we can stand and talk about it."

Momo smiled.

"It's been a long while since you've kissed me like that," he said. "Not ever since we uh- did. . . that. I know you've been avoiding it, and honestly it was my fault for making you do that with me."