XXVII

"Do you ever miss being part of a group?" Momo asked me

It almost seemed out of the blue. We were having lunch in one of the restaurants by the old harbour. The weather was pleasant enough for us to eat outside, and it seemed like most people felt the same. Maybe it was in this environment, surrounded by people did Momo decided to bring that up.

"Not really," I said, picking up my glass of wine. "I don't really think I was a part of a group, other than the time with Rafel and Amélie. . . and Ferran I guess."

"Me neither," Momo said, shrugging. "I was just thinking because the other day I met this guy who told me he has never been to a museum because his friends didn't want to."

I raised my eyebrow.

"Can you imagine living like that?" Momo said, tilting his head to the side. "Dictated by your friends' whims and wills?"

I only shrugged. I mean, what else could I do? When Momo goes off on his little tangents there was little else you could do really. He can be rather staunch in his own opinions, and I hadn't the energy to argue.

"What were you like in school?" Momo asked.

"Eh," I mumbled. "Apathetic."

A smile crept up Momo's lips, as he adjusted his hair.

"I guess not much has changed then," he said. "Well, maybe in how you see yourself."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "I am apathetic to most things."

"Or that's what you'd like to think," Momo remarked.

I shrugged, as the waiter served us our meal.

"You're the most caring man I've ever met," Momo said as he picked up his fork. "If you were apathetic you wouldn't have done the things you've did for me."

"Come on," I replied. "I did that because I love you. Anyone would've done that."

"You said would've killed him for me."

"And I'd do it."

Those words just blurted out of my mouth without a second thought. Without me realising it, my hands were gripping onto my fork, my flesh squeezing onto the cold metal. I looked into his warm hazel eyes, but he averted his gaze.

"You're afraid," Momo said as he started cut into his food. "Of what passion can do. And that's why you have this veneer of apathy that you try to maintain."

"You wouldn't want me to go to jail now would you?"

"That's because you're speaking out of rationality," Momo said. "Being rational and apathetic are not the same thing."

"What are you getting to?" I asked, getting a bit irritated.

"I'm just saying that you're not as apathetic as you think you are," he said.