Chapter 24 - The necklace

Luna's presentation Ceremony day.

Adelina's pov:

I woke up feeling extremely weak and tired. My mind was a mess. Maximus' term worried me. I didn't anticipate it. I never thought that he would set such term. I know he doesn't care about me and it is completely irrational to oblige me to have a real relationship with him. Ι can understand that he wants me close to him in order to gain the throne, but I cannot figure out the reason he wants a relationship with me. What does he want to achieve? Why is he doing that? That's a big enigma for me. One thing I know for sure is that I don't want to be involved in a relationship with him. I do not believe that a love affair between us will flourish. There are no true feelings between us.

I tossed and turned in my bed all night until I realized that there was no use of torturing my mind about Maximus' plans. Morning had come and the best thing I had to do was banish all the thoughts from my mind and get up and do my daily routine. I was brushing my teeth when I heard a knock on the door. Probably it's Maria the girl who cleans my room every day. "Just a second please" Ι said loudly and rinsed my mouth. I opened the door and to my surprise Marisa was waiting for me outside.

Although we agreed that Marisa would come at noon to help me with the preparations  she came early in the morning. Never the less I was glad she was here. I needed someone to talk about yesterday's events. I wanted to get it out of me.

She came in and waited on my bed as I got dressed in the bathroom. When I got ready we decided to have breakfast in a nice bistro instead of the pack's restaurant. I wouldn't like to bump accidentaly on Maximus or Jina. The bistro was located in the city center and made the best pancakes I had ever eaten. On our way to the bistro, I summarized to her what happened yesterday afternoon between me and Maximus. We ordered coffees, croissants and pancakes with strawberry jam and praline. We were really very hungry. When the waitress left, Marisa started talking as she couldn't hold back anymore.

-"Ι thought you said you wanted to move on. So why on earth did you go to his office and proposed such thing? What's the matter with you Adelina?" Marisa asked me frowning her eyebrows. She looked really disappointed. She never talked to me like this before.

-"I know that the agreement and especially the term he set doesn't particularly favor me, but there is no other way".

-"Yes, there is. Reject him and go away".

-"Do you really believe that he would let me do that and just go away without facing any consequence? If he couldn't get me, he would vent his anger on whomever I love, my family, Alex, you. I could not bear to have your blood in my hands, you know that" I explained.

-" I don't think he would hurt Alex or me. We are members of his pack. He has no excuse for such crime. As for your family I do not believe he would also hurt them, at least not until he became king. He wouldn't jeopardize to spoil his image. This would earn us time to think of something".

-"Even if it is so, he wouldn't let me go so easily. He needs me to gain the throne, you know that".

-"So you decided to help him by sacrificing yourself while he was always unjust with you and treated you badly. Have you lost completely your mind Adelina?"

-"I don't do it to help him, rather than help myself".

-"How exactly will you help yourself?"

-"I don't like to be a fugitive. What is the importance of going away if I have to hide and live in fear of being found? That's worse than living here with Maximus. At least here I have my friends, my work, I have a daily routine. I thought about it a lot the last few days. I will help him become king, and when that happens, I will manage to go away and live my life as he will no longer need me. I have to be patient for a few months. That's all".