The Ultimate Study Guide!

Hi, it's Alia! Below, I have provided the ultimate study guide that is dedicated to help you with your efficiency and productivity! I hope these tips are helpful, and can be implemented into your study routine! Enjoy!

Productivity Tips and Tricks

Often find yourself procrastinating? Here are some tips and tricks to help you out!

Find your time to work

When do you think you work best? For students who have more energy earlier in the day, studying in the morning may work the best, because the brain is more attentive. Students who study during the day benefit from a refreshed and energized mind after a good night's rest. However, some students enjoy studying at night because they feel undisturbed. Find what works best for you.

Dress for The Part

I know it might seem weird, but your mind truly does feel more productive when you are dressed appropriately for work. Studies have shown clothing comfort can negatively affect understanding and performance in school; however, that DOES NOT mean you have to wear uncomfortable clothes! For example, if you are wearing pajamas, even if you don't think it will affect you, your brain connects the fact that you wear your pjs, you sleep. Your brain is trained to think of sleep and relaxation. By just getting ready, it makes you feel productive.

DO NOT WORK ON YOUR BED

This makes an immense difference! Just like wearing pajamas, if you work on your bed your mind is trained to think about sleep, which as a result, makes you tired. Try working at a desk or table to improve efficiency and posture.

Break Down Your Tasks.

Generally, when you are assigned a project, it is crucial to break it down into miniature tasks. Set goals for what part you could get done today and other days to come. When you are assigned a big project, your mind immediately starts to procrastinate since it seems like there is so much work to do. Instead of taking a big leap into the project, take small steps first. You can never run if you don't know how to walk. Tell yourself to do a certain task each day (consider the due date) and you'll get it done without being too stressed.

Example!

Instead of saying:

This is too much work! I'll just do it the day before it's due

Try saying:

Let's try to get ____ done today and ____ tomorrow.

PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY

I am always so tempted to look at my phone when I see it go off. However, this is a one-way ticket to procrastination. If you are FaceTiming a friend to do homework with or to study, make sure to stay in control and don't get distracted by anything on your phone. You should always stay social and chat, but make sure you and your friend are also doing your work. If you are not on FaceTime, I recommend putting your phone face down in another room. By doing so, your mind will be attentively focused upon the task, rather than temptive distractions presented on our phones through social media.

Put your phone on airplane mode

Turn off your phone ringer

Turn off notifications

Designing Tips and Tricks

When designing, think about the layout and spacing. This can make the presentation look neat and tidy instead of crowded. Think about the theme, the colors, the pictures, etc.

Use colors! Don't be afraid to have colors in your presentation! Colors can help draw attention to certain sections and/or organize your presentation. A bland presentation wouldn't make your audience interested. With a bit of a pop of color, although it may not seem like it, will help the audience feel interested and pay more attention!

Add pictures/graphs, charts, etc. I recommend having pictures to help interest your audience. You don't have to add one on every slide; just on some of them.

Try not to have many lines on each slide. Try having about 2 - 8 sentences/lines per slide. Also, try using bullet points instead of paragraphs so your audience can see exactly what this slide is about. For any small details, you can say them while presenting or have small notes or fun facts around that slide. This make the presentation very neat and easy for the audience to follow

If you are using Google Docs or Google Slides , and you want to change the line spacing. You first go to FORMAT at the top. Then, you go to line spacing. Now change accordingly.

If you want to add a sticker to your slides or docs, search up whatever you want to add and behind it search up png. Also make sure that the background is transparent.

Study Tips and Tricks

Study with a friend:

By studying with friends, you can hear insight on ways they may retain the information. However, it is important to pay attention to your studies and not get sidetracked. Study with someone you know you won't be too distracted with.

Make Flashcards and/or Make/Use Quizlet:

Making your own flashcards and/or using a Quizlet that either the teacher made or one that you made yourself can really help you memorize the terms that you need to study for any subject! Quizlet has many features like testing, flashcards, matching, and more so it is a pretty helpful tool! Find out what works best for you!

Speak Aloud:

When studying, talk to yourself out loud. Quiz yourself by covering the information and speaking out loud as if you were a teacher. If you can explain the information out loud, it is likely that you will perpetuate and understand the information more than deliberately rereading concepts numerous times.

Stay Organized:

HAVE A PLANNER AND UPDATE IT DAILY! Doing this will keep you organized and keep you in check with assignments, tests, quizzes, homework, etc.

Break up Study Time:

DO NOT study for 6 hours in a row! It is important to break up your study time in intervals of 30 minutes (studies show). This ensures that you are attentive and focused on your work, rather than distracted and tired. (Note: Make sure to take 10 minute breaks between every interval). Also, find out what study times work for you! (example: during the morning).

Do not waste your time trying to make your notes pretty. Instead of taking your valuable time to add thousands of highlighters and pens, make sure you make your notes brief and simple (2 pens, 2 highlighters). However, if taking notes with art supplies helps you, then do it! Colors have been proven to help you study, but try not to spend all of your time decorating it. A few highlighter colors will do.

Helpful Apps: Photomath, Khan Academy, Crash Course, Quizlet