Chapter 37 He's Not Going Anywhere

Chapter 37

He's Not Going Anywhere

Gracie's POV

"Okay sweetie but stay by the counter and remember don't talk to strangers."

Sarah rolled her saucer like eyes and again I dreaded her teenage years. "I know momma."

With that she spun on her heels swishing her plaid knee high dress in a full circle and skipped to the counter to where Lucielle was chatting happily with a regular. Although the diner was full I didn't feel as certain of Sarah's safety after yesterday.

A cold shiver ran down my spine, rubbing my hands over the goosebumps that covered my skin proving just how scared I am. If Ben could get into the house and take pictures of Sarah and I than how can she be safe anywhere? We were all downstairs but still he managed to sneak in, no one still knows how he snuck in-perhaps the window but Sarah sleeps upstairs and there's no ledges for the upstairs bedrooms.

Could he have found a way into the house, maybe the back door? The other night he saw exactly what I was wearing could he have been on the property? Pressing a hand at the base of my throat I released a long, steady breath in an attempt to slow my racing heart.

I spent all night trying to figure out Ben was able to sneak in and out without being seen or heard.

Every time I tried to sleep all I could think about was if Ben snuck in again. If he was in Sarah's room or even Jason's. Jason was just as fidgety as he paced the hallway from our room to Sarah's and back. Just as he'd lay down and try sleeping he'd snap back up at any small noise from outside or inside the house and than start the pacing all over again.

I watched him worrying as he'd walk into the hallway and not come back. It was a long night of worrying for us all. At one point I thought of telling Jason about Ben's late night call the night of his accident. But every time I began to tell him I stopped unable to put more problems on his shoulders.

To be honest I'm scared of Jason's reaction. When I over heard the commotion yesterday I thought they were arguing whether to kick me out or drop my problems, what I heard was worse. Jason was heading out to kill Ben. My heart nearly stopped beating when I heard Jason ignoring his uncle's words, than to head down and see Lucielle and Jackie crying was absolutely horrific. Jason ignored them all ready to take another man's life and suffer for the rest of his life in prison.

Ben's phone call could be important or not but I can't hide it from him.

"Lucielle do you mind watching Sarah I need to talk to Jason." I said approaching the counter

"Sur' honey I'd be glad to watch the little pumpkin."

With a grateful smile and a quick thank you I slipped past her and towards the office where Jason was with the detective Pete. I never realized he hired a detective to follow Ben after the incident at the ice rink.

I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Turning the brass knob of the office I stepped in and shut the door after me gaining the attention of both men who were in the middle of a conversation.

"Hello again Mr. Nolan." I greeted slowly approaching the desk where they sat across from each other

The elder man who looked in his mid thirties nodded his slightly balding head "A pleasure Ms. Adler although I wish we met on better circumstances."

So do I, I thought sadly. Instead of speaking the words I nodded my head in agreement spotting Jason tense from on the swivel leather chair. My eyes roamed over him taking in the dark bags under his eyes, the slight five o'clock shadow covering his broad sculpted jaw, his eyes were a hard dark blue close to the darkest depth of the sea. Beneath the surface each held a unknown danger. Lowering my gaze I spotted a quarter filled glass of strong brand of whiskey that Jason seemed to prefer.