Vale, The Windtalker (A Mobil...

By NatureMist

[Warning! Contains Mature Contents! For Legal Age only] Hi! I hope you read this one. There's only one thing... More

Chapter 1: Darkness Before Dawn
Chapter 2: Nerfed
Chapter 3: The New Contract
Chapter 4: Double Kill!
Chapter 5: Aquamarine
Chapter 6: Request Back-up!
Chapter 7: Time Traveler
Chapter 8: Trash Talk
Chapter 9: Survival is more important
Chapter 10: The Clock
Chapter 11: The Enemy is Banning
Chapter 12: Payback Time
Chapter 13: A Bird for a Bird
Chapter 14: Darkness and Decisions
Chapter 15: Unfinished Business
Chapter 16: Kill Steal
Chapter 18: Sweet Leonin
Chapter 19: Unstoppable
Chapter 20: Blame Game
Chapter 21: I Am Your Death
Chapter 22: Cerulean Winds
Chapter 23: Dancing Tornadoes and A Kissing Sun
Chapter 24: Dragon, Kittens and Butterflies
Chapter 25: Savage
Chapter 26: White Buff
Chapter 27: Play By The Rules
Chapter 28: Kannagi
Chapter 29: Jungle Vampire
Chapter 30: The Chairman
Chapter 31: Hungry Duo
New Chapter To Be Uploaded by September 30

Chapter 17: The Art of Winning

82 6 10
By NatureMist

[Author would like to acknowledge @Steven631897 as winner of last chapter's flfc :) ]

Despite the growing tension from afar, no single drop of fretfulness can be seen from Ling. However, the opposite goes for the walking minion beside him - Benedetta.

"Are you sure about this, Ling?"

"I guess I'm not the one who said 'I'm not coming back.'" Ling reminded her.

"Yeah.. But I said that when you assured me they can win the fight."

Ling did not respond. He just continued walking away from the battle scene. Benedetta followed suit.

"But aren't we going to help them, at least?"

"I already did my job. I killed Pharsa. Doesn't that qualify in your definition of help?" Ling then showed her Pharsa's black aquamarine. "Here, take it. You're my Master now. Everything that belongs to me belongs to you."

Amazed of what she saw, Benedetta did not hesitate taking the aquamarine. To personally see a stone of such value is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Heroes fight for it. Squads aim for it. And now she has it. Definitely, she knew aquamarines are more valuable than minions like her. However --

"Aarrgghh!" Benedetta screamed. The aquamarine seemed to burn her tiny hands.

"Apologies," Ling said. "I forgot. You're not allowed to touch it. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? You rascal! You did that on purpose!" Benedetta yelled at him.

So the stories are true. There's no way minions can hold nor own them. Benedetta said to herself.

"Just.. Just keep it for yourself then," Benedetta frowned.

"Okay."

Benedetta looked back. She started to think twice again. Funny memories of Ellie, Vale and Lesley shortly flashed to her as breaths of the warm desert winds brushed her face.

"Look. Well-- Okay. I said that. It was my decision. And I am sure about this decision to leave them, but frankly, Ling, I am not sure if they can handle the situation. The last time I checked, they were outnumbered."

"Outnumbered? Eh? Why do you say so?" Ling asked.

"No. Why do you say so?" asserted Benedetta. Her tone reminded him that she's the boss.

Ling sighed. "Okay. Fine. I guess we don't have to leave yet. It seems my inquisitive boss won't forgive me if I let her miss the brawl."

"Brawl?"

"Yes. In this world, that's how you call a fight without turning back."

"Hmmm. Interesting. It sounds odd though. Because from what I'm seeing right now, we are turning our backs on them. Don't you think we should fight them? I know you're goddamn strong. You'd be a good asset."

"Well, if my boss so commands. However, I know you're intentions are noble, my Lady. But believe me, that's unnecessary."

"Are you afraid, Ling?" Benedetta, trying to clarify things out.

"I am a respectful person, my Lady," Ling answered.

"Respectful? What do you mean?"

"It simply means, I have to step back."

"And why is that?"

"Don't you see it, my Lady? It would be a mismatch if I fight for either of both sides. Let the cats have their own way of doing things. Tigers shouldn't meddle." With eyes looking the sky, Ling continued, "Let the average heroes fight themselves as legends like us watch from afar."

Benedetta was flattered. "Us?"

"Yes, us. Soon you will be, my Lady."

Ling then gestured himself in the most formal manner as he extended his right arm. "It's time to watch some catfights. Shall we, my Lady?"

"Alright." Ling's first skill, Finch Poise, then empowered both of them a flying leap into the highest mountain of the Barren Lands.

Enemies now pressed their attacks against Khaleed, the Desert Miscitar. However, despite the full pack of enemies rushing towards him, Khaleed was not bothered.

Selena first summoned an Abyssal Devil guarding Jawhead to prevent it from escaping. She then fired another Abyssal Arrow towards Khaleed, as she quickly transformed herself into her Abyssal Form, running towards his direction. But Khaleed's agility and reflexes were above her expectations.

"Not anymore," Khaleed reacted, as he sidestepped to evade the arrow.

Meanwhile, Khufra, casting his first skill, Tyrant's Revenge, pulled the bandage on his arms to launch himself in Khaleed's direction, followed by the invincible Bouncing Ball. The bounce trembled the ground, with numerous hapless minions dying as his Ball form ran over them. Alice also charged her dashing spherical orb, Flowing Blood, towards Khaleed. Thamuz then followed. His fast impulse made him blink in front of Khaleed, ready to engage in close combat, bringing with him his burning Molten Scythes. Terizla, on the other hand, cracked and split the desert ground of the battlefield with his Revenge Strike which prompted a massive release of deadly fissure from the underground, all heading towards Khaleed. However, the leakage of the fissure also claimed the lives of minions near it. True enough, another major casualty of war. Hanzo did not also get himself behind. Casting Kinjutsu, his Demon Pneuma breaks from his physical body like a starving predator looking for his prey, heading directly towards Khaleed.

What will you do now, Desert Miscitar? Leomord thought. The Commander, however, remained suspicious. He does not discount the fact that Khaleed was not alone. Hesitation stepped in. As Leomord charged towards Khaleed, he suddenly altered his direction midway. And looking at his nearest ally, who was also heading towards the enemy, he commanded: "Harith, to the Tavern, now!" Harith obeyed his Commander, and both of them now went straight to the tavern.

Lesley tightly gripped her rifle as she prepared for the incoming attack. Aiming Harith, she was ready to pull the trigger when --

"No, Lesley! Don't!" Vale instructed.

"What the f*ck!" Lesley as she accidentally missed her shot.

"Harith, don't.. don't hit him," Vale reluctantly said.

[Author's Note: Video for background music only, content has no relevance.]

Vale, as it turned out, couldn't accept yet what had become of Harith. The approaching leonin reminded him of one thing: a friend. A  caring, sweet friend. Flashing images of Harith, who accidentally bumped into his Wind Valley, ran now through his sharp memories. 

The sudden change of mood troubled Lesley. She's certain that with Vale's soft spot as weakness, there'll be no hope for them.

But wait, she thought. Losing shouldn't be like this! There's an art in losing as there is in winning. And at this moment, no emotion can ever hinder a hunter like her. More importantly, she just can't afford to lose now, given the fact that such an amazing, hot, and virgin wind mage still stood in front of her - untouched by her love. Her logic is simple: She hasn't tasted him yet so it's not yet time to die. Vale is her obsession. His godly-handsome features... His golden eyes. His criminal gaze. His tight, muscular body. Just all about him makes her want him more, and all about him wants her to live more. Death should not come. Not today.

Without further thoughts, Lesley quickly grabbed her rifle. She aimed and was about to press the trigger when --

"Tigreal! Now!" Khaleed commanded.

Deactivating the conceal effect of his Shadow Mask, Tigreal swiftly 'flickered' in front of Khaleed. All enemy heroes rushing towards Khaleed were surprised! The move was not anticipated! Now they were all in front of Tigreal - like some fresh bones offered to a hungry wolf! And it's too late to react. They just watched in awe as the unstoppable Tigreal cast his Ultimate in front of them.

"Implosion!"

The skill created a circular field, pulling all surrounding, unallied heroes within the one-kilometer radius into the center, like metallic pieces compulsorily attracted to a big magnet. All, which means not just enemies, strangers included. Same goes with flying units. In fact, Alice was not able to escape from it.

Vale, Lesley and Jawhead were also warped within the inescapable energy along with Leomord's squad. And yes, the skill immediately ended Lesley's adult fantasies. Furthermore, Tigreal's Ultimate ignores barriers, boundaries and blind spots. As expected, the remaining two, locked carriages were not exempted. Both were also magnetized in the center.

All members of Leomord's team were now grouped together with Vale's. Their inch-apart faces were now as clear as daylight. With both sides immobilized under the curse of Implosion, Tigreal and Khaleed now knew who were fighting who. Vale, however, knew that right after the effect of Tigreal's ultimate, the battle mechanics would change: from "brawl" to "survival".

Ling, standing two kilometers away from the battle arena, seemed to enjoy the sudden turn of events. Benedetta was now more anxious than ever.

"So is that what you meant when you said they were not outnumbered?" Benedetta, referring to the whole army under Tigreal's command which was now visible. True enough, Tigreal's Shadow Mask did not only conceal him; it also concealed his whole army of Imperial Knights who were now patrolling behind him.

"Keep calm, my Lady. The real show had just begun. As I've said, this is an even match," Ling advised.

"Did you predict this will happen? Though Tigreal has a big human army, Leomord's squad is really strong! They have scary fighters! And that Desert Tyrant is really something!"

"My Lady, a clash is like a painting. The battlefield serves as the canvas. And the skills are the colors that give light to it. A while ago, when they were enraged, they all attacked without coordination. And attacks without coordination, my Lady, are like brush strokes which add no value to the painting. Leomord's team maybe strong. But winning is not about strength, my Lady. It's about tactics. I tell you, a skill maybe useless and ordinary at first glance. But combine it with others and it becomes meaningful." Then Ling continued, "I have fought so many wars. I even raided a Dragon Dungeon once. And one thing I never forget? Two different skills, perfectly timed and synchronized together, work better than a strong but pointless AoE Ultimate."

Benedetta was amazed. She just couldn't believe that Ling was now under her commands. And she could feel in her nerves that this mentorship agreement with Ling was the most effective contract she ever had, way above than her labor contract with Vale.

"So, what would happen next?" Benedetta inquired.

"The stun lasts one whole minute. Within that minute, what must you do?" Ling asked her back.

"I would-- I would do what I must do. And that-- And that is.. Oh!" What transpired in the mind of Benedetta exactly happened in the battlefield.

Khaleed, with one deft stroke, swang his sword. The chains of the targeted carriage were now broken. 

Suddenly --

"Purify!"

Thamuz cast his battle spell "purify" to debuff the stun effect of Tigreal's Ultimate. In a lightning speed, his ravaging Molten Scythes suddenly flew ahead of him, heading to the carriage that was just unlocked by Khaleed. The impact made a huge explosion, and the carriage turned into tiny pieces of molten, metal scraps.

However, to his shock, his Molten Scythes never returned to him.

"Death is nothing compared to my beliefs," a woman spoke, her silhouette emerging from the smoke caused by the explosion. It then giggled as it held both hands the Molten Scythes thrown by Thamuz earlier. "Oh boy! Are these harmless scythes yours? I never expected toys are becoming dangerous these days."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 373 7
Un-canny (adjective) - strange or mysterious, especially in an unsettling way. That's the best way to describe him. And his obsession with you. Stor...
1.7M 111K 26
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series ( CAN BE READ STANDALONE ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spread...
58.1K 641 33
때문에   . .   𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘶𝘭𝘵 𝘶𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘸 𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨!! ⭒ ❜ . ━ 𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗻 𝗴𝗶𝗿...
43.3K 2.6K 22
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 # 𝟏 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐚𝐳 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬. Love or betrayal? Consumption of betrayals. Internal betrayal? Yes! Will they be overcome? Or W...