The Rogues

By _kaywrites

Control. It's what Evelyn's known her whole life...being controlled by a croupt government run society called... More

1- Intro to Detra
2- Control
3- Matched
4- The Bride
5-No Mans Land
6- Stitches
7- The Test
8- Bullseye
9- Fists out
10- Heads up
11- Bruises
12- The Woods
13 - Moonlight
14- The Girl
15- Smoke
16-Arrows
17-Flame
18- Mind Melt
19- Rooftop
20- The Twins
21- Trapped
22- Fury
23- Five Hours
24- Armor
25- A Weapon
26- Jailbreak
27- Power
28- Crimson
29- Heavenly
31- Breathe
32- The light
33- Forget Me
34- Don't Look Death in the Eye
35- When the Alarm Sounds
36- Let go
37- The Rising
38- Deception
39- Touch
40- The Gates
Chapter 41- Her Power

30- The Martyr

5.3K 146 274
By _kaywrites

Dominic

( An hour earlier)

I was prepared for Theo to scold me. To run my ears off until he had no more breath to even bite his tongue. But the moment I stepped into his oriented oval office that reigned with books and pieces of writing plastered on the walls, he remained rather calm. I could read Theo almost as well as he read those books on the stacked shelves, and I knew he wasn't pleased, dispute his tranquil demeanor.

"Dominic." he said, his rusty voice seeking through the cool air. Theo always kept his room cold, almost too cold. Sometimes I saw the fog of my breath bounce off the walls of his office, moments I was convinced Theos blood was tainted with ice. He never had a reason for keeping it so cold, not one I knew of at least.

Theo faced the vass window that stood beyond his desk, his hands clasped behind his back as he stared out into the view of the courtyard. He didn't need to turn his neck an inch to be able to sense my presence in the room. The sunlight glared on his coarse skin, his grey eyes looking rather blue as he faced the lustering transparent glass.

"Theo." I replied with a nod of my head. He said nothing for a few painful seconds, his neutral eyes scanning the Immunes as they flooded the courtyard. I was ready for whatever he needed to say, but I wouldn't just sit there and wait for his words.

"You know why I did it Theo. I had too."

"I knew you would do it."

"You did?"

"You forget Dominic, that I know things. I know more than you ever will. From the moment you walked out of the meeting the other day, I knew you were going to go to The Chamber. I knew you would disobey me."

How did he know? Who was I kidding... of course he knew, I always forgot Theo was a Mozack. He's branded by intelligence and quick wit. A skilled Mozack like him can think things through before they even happen. His brain works quicker than mine, even Kylers.

"Why didn't you stop me then? Why did you let me go?"

"Letting you go would be your punishment." Theo remained facing the window, the warmth of his breath fogging up glass as he spoke. "I knew the consequences of you going there. But what you received was far worse because you brought her along."

"Evelyn?" I lifted my brow in confusion.

"Yes, the girl is a value to Detra."

"How so?" I knew why, but I was curious to learn his reason.

"A Kinesic like her is a rarity that Detra is in need of if they want to execute their plan of becoming an Empire."

I was appalled, no one other than me, Cel, and Ky knew about her powers. "How did you know-"

"I knew what she was from the moment I met her." Theo faced me, his eyepatch shadowing over his defined cheekbones. How could he know? "You forget Dominic, I'm rather familiar with Kinesics."

Inara. I forgot. I looked down in embarrassment. Of course he knew, it's Theo, he knows everything.

"I could sense it in her. The way she looked around the room, the way she held her hands and lost herself in her thoughts. She's focus driven, I saw it especially at the Rumble. How could you not notice?"

"I've never met a Kinesic before, I've only heard your stories."

"And if you remember anything from my stories?" He nudged me to finish for him. It wasn't a hard question.

"It's that they are dangerous." I continued. I didn't want to think of Evelyn that way...as dangerous. Though after what I saw back there at The Chamber, it was difficult to not fear her a bit.

"Dangerous, yes..." Theo paced around the beige room, unclasping his hands and fixing the strands of his dark black hair. Though Theo has aged many years, he managed to not grow a single grey hair. His rusic tone continued, "...but only if they are trained to be killers. That's why she needs to stay here where she's safe from that sort of exposure."

Since when did he care about Mind-wielders? Last I checked he wanted Inara's head on a stake for what she did to him. Again, I only knew that from stories. In most stories about Inara Kade, she was depicted as a monster, but in Theos, she grew into evil. She used to be good.

"Where Evelyn's safe?"

"If Detra gets a hold of her, we're done for. Our land will be destroyed, everyone you know will be dead. She will suffer an unresting amount of despair." He faced me, his single eye latching the effect of a thousand looks. "You've never seen what someone like her can do, but I have, and when a power like that gets into the wrong hands, it's lethal."

I had seen what she could do though. But was that only a touch of her full power?

Theo stopped his pacing and let out an exasperated breath, memories of his youth flowing through his head. I knew Inara was bad, but I never knew exactly the full story of what she did, only parts of it here and there. I've always meant to ask Theo, but bits of me didn't want to know. If I imagined what Inara did, I'd be afraid I'd see Evelyn in her place.

Theo broke the silence with a soft reminiscent sigh, an unnerving shake in his voice. "Beaux has sided with Detra."

"What?" my breath felt tugged out of my chest.

No. This can't be.

Beaux, one of the most powerful neighboring states, has sided with our biggest enemy. We could overthrow Detra alone, but not Beaux and Detra. Beaux was a huge trading hub, and an enormous state in the middle of the Confederation. The center state, they named it. The Confederation was made of five neighboring states, Frejren, Omanda, Beaux, Nessari and Detra. Frejren was seized by Detra and Omanda was seized by Beaux, leaving Nessari the only free state left. Beaux was home to the Baedium Citadel, which housed the High Ruler, and if the High Ruler was finally on Detras' side, there wasn't a chance of seeking freedom from the government. Beaux was known for their captivity of Immunes, using their powers for benefit...could their alliance be all for Evelyn?

"No...Beaux has always been rivals with Detra, even in the Frejren war they-"

"Things have changed. They have allied with Detra. I feel it's because they also want the girl."

My stomach curled at his words. Evelyn wasn't just wanted by Detra anymore, she was wanted by the most powerful state in the Confederation. If the High Ruler grasped her powers, chances of freedom would be lost. Would Beaux and Detra rule together? Unite their powers? Together, they could easily build an Empire. An Empire of imprisonment, slavery and control. I couldn't let that happen, not ever.

"If you knew Evelyn was a Kinesic, why did you let her go to the Chamber? This could have been avoided! We could have let them think she was still missing, or even dead! Why did you let her go!" My tone grew louder with my anger. No Dominic, why did you let her go?

"I can only sense so much Dominic. I knew you were going to go to the Chamber, but I didn't think for a second you would bring her along. If I would have known that, don't think I wouldn't have said something! It was unlike you to bring her along. I didn't expect that."

Theo not expecting something? That was a shock. He was right though, it was unlike me to bring Evelyn on the mission. She just was so determined and...what the hell was I thinking?

"I wanted you to go to the Chamber, I wanted you to free those people, just not under my command. I couldn't be the barrier of your faults Dominic...not again!"

Theos words cut through my chest like a knife, plunging right into my barren heart. He was right. This was my problem, not his, and I had to face it. I shouldn't have let Evelyn go to the Chamber, I knew it was a bad idea and I should have trusted my gut. Why did I let her convince me otherwise? I should have done better. lock her in her room, tie her to a goddamn chair if that meant she wouldn't have come with. This was my fault...again. How many more faults could I bring to the Rogues? I didn't want to be painted as a villain, but I couldn't help from feeling guilty of my poor decisions. If you would just think for once you damned fool.

"I've seen what evil can do to people like the girl. She doesn't belong to darkness, she belongs here where she's safe. We can't trust anyone, under the wrong hands the girl's mind becomes a weapon. One that destroys everything you know."

There was an awful feeling in my stomach. Was it guilt? Confusion? I wasn't sure, but it felt terrible. Like a weight tugging at my insides. My thoughts exploded. Why was I so mad at Evelyn, how could I be so unfair? She didn't know of her strength...but what if she did? She didn't. At least I hoped not. Who could I even trust anymore? Trust no one. My mind felt led in ten different directions, I wished I could just conclude that she's good, that she wouldn't harm us. But after what I've been through, I've learned that the most innocent faces can shield the most dangerous souls.

But still, it was Evelyn. She was...she was different. I shouldn't have been mad at her when the only one to be mad at was myself.

"Dominic..." Theo grabbed me from my thoughts, I didn't even recall his broad body nearing mine. He was the only one I knew close to my height, his presence made me feel small.

"...In you, I--well, I see a lot of myself in you. You're determined, valiant, and...and you're a leader, Dominic."

You're a leader. Hearing that from Theo was one of the greatest things one could hear. That meant alot to me.

"Because I see myself in you...I fear you'll make the same mistakes as I."

What could a man like Theo have done so wrong? He was a legend, the leader of the rebellion, the shape of the Rogues. But behind every great story is a sorrow, one hidden so deep from the public it washes away. It's something that makes greatness look like luck rather than destiny. Behind every hero there's a villain, everyone has a darkness in them concealed behind the light.

"Dominic..." Theo repeated himself, his eye sinking into the depths of mine. I peeked down to break his gaze, that single dark pupil sometimes made my skin crawl. "...You care about this girl, don't you?" He continued.

I didn't want to say it. God, how I hated admitting it, but the words slipped under my breath, my eyes still at my feet. "I do."

"If you truly care about her, can you promise me one thing?" Theo laid his rough hand on my shoulder, I picked my head up to meet his bleeding gaze, "Promise me you won't let them get to her. Protect her Dominic."

I held my breath for a moment. Evelyn didn't need my protection, she was much stronger than I would ever be. If anything, I needed her protection. But I wouldn't let myself be the result of another demise. I needed to shield her from herself. I needed her to be safe.

I nodded and exhaled into the icy air. I've never meant something more in my whole life when I told Theo, " I will."

Dominic

(Present time)

The kid walked beside me like a duckling following its mother, his eyes beaming like I was some kind of alpha captain, he, a beta rookie. I rolled my eyes at the thought. I'm not as great as you think kid, I wanted to say, but i'd let him live his fantasy for a bit. At least I was the hero in someone's story.

"How did you get here?" Beckett tilted his head at me, "Were you born here? I can't imagine you being anywhere else."

I laughed, this kid really thought I was some kind of martyr. He looked at me the same way Detra citizens looked at the High Ruler. Did I really want to feel like that though? Did I even like the feeling of hierarchy? Yes, you do like it, A part stuck deep inside of me screamed. No you don't, I yelled back.

"I was in the same position as you. Stuck in the Chamber...treated like a rat."

"You were...you were like me?" He lit up.

"I was just like you...trust me. Everyone begins somewhere kid, it's your decision when to open your eyes and finally start."

Beckett nodded his head, "I want to start now. I want to be a fighter, just like you."

You're damned if you want to be just like me.

"Don't worry about being like me." I peered down at him, "Beckett Haverford will be the best fighter out there one day. The youngest one too, just you wait."

"You really think so!" He beamed

"You've got the determination Kid, that's all it takes. Without the will to be great, greatness will never be achieved." I moved my gaze from Becketts, my thoughts spilling in an instant.

Those were the words of my mother. Without the will to be great, greatness will never be achieved. She would tell me that all the time. Whenever I felt like giving up, she would remind me that greatness isn't met by surrendering to your fears. Why was I telling him the words of my mother? Because maybe they can keep him on his feet as much as they keep me on mine.

We headed to the shooting area in the training unit. A line of targets flooded the empty field, the guns lonely on the racks they sat on. It brought me back to the day Evelyn held that gun between her fingers. How she pierced a bullet effortless into the center of the bag. Then she did it again, and again, and again...until there were no bullets left in the cartridge. What astonished me the most, was that she did it all with her eyes sealed shut. I've come across lots of great fighters, but none of their skills could compare to what Evelyn displayed that day. She was remarkable. And now, it makes sense. She didn't have good aim, she led the bullets there herself. Did she know she was doing that? Another thing that twisted my thoughts about her.

Before I could retain my focus, Beckett was already brushing his fingers on the rakes of guns, admiring them with a glowing stare.

Shit.

I rushed over to him and blocked my body in front of his. "You, don't touch those!" I scolded

"Sorry I was just-"

"It's okay." I sighed. Remember Dom, he's just a kid. Don't make yourself look like a monster. I picked up the smallest gun we had, a thin brown revolver with a cool metal barrel and leather strapped around the handle. Beckett looked at the ordnance with an expression of disappointment.

"Don't underestimate it." I placed the revolver in his small hands. He grabbed it eagerly, turning it gently so he could get a full view of the weapon.

"Do you use guns like this?" Beckett pondered

"Sometimes. I prefer using my hands." I hoped he wouldn't ask why. There was no way to explain to a kid, knocking your fist into someone's cheek until they lose the will to live is more satisfying than shooting a bullet through their skin. I also hated killing. I've killed many times, but each life I've taken has carved a scar in my mind. If I use my hands to beat someone till they lose consciousness, they most likely will live. Depends how hard I hit. Though a gun makes no promises, carries no mercy. Then again, here I was, teaching a kid how to shoot.

I'm not making him a killer, I'm teaching him defense, there's a difference. I reminded myself.

The boy held the gun up to his eye, winking one shut and leaving the other open. He lifted the head and pressed his lips together mimicking a gun shot with a muttered Pew. I liked the fire I saw in this kid's eyes, a young face like his was needed in The Rogues. After my generation, who would lead? I held my hope a bit in this kid.

"No, no, don't hold it like that." I shook my head and knelt down so I could meet his size. "You'll bust your eye out holding it that close to your face." I picked the barrel of the gun up, and moved his arm outwards, pointing straight in front of him.

"Relax your shoulders kid, you'll mess up your shot so tensed up." Beckett nodded and rolled his shoulders, his muscles loosening. I brushed my thumb against the frame of the revolver and clicked down the hammer, a wave of nervousness struck Becketts face at the sound.

"Don't be nervous, nerves distraught focus. When you're ready, use your pointer fingers and press the trigger."I backed up, letting the kid do his thing. He swallowed a deep breath and pressed his tiny fingers together. The gun shot and a bullet sprung into the ground. Beckett stumbled back in shock, the noise catching him off guard. He peered at the bullet lodged in the grass and sighed. "This isn't as easy as it looks." He sulked.

"Nothing's easy on your first try." unless you're Evelyn. "Do you think I hit the bullseye my first try?" Beckett shook his head and I continued, " My first shot stuck right in the grass like yours. It takes practice to get good aim. Even still it takes me a few tries to hit the center."

Becketts hopes were lifted, but not enough to hit a target. "You know what helps me?" I said. "Imagining the target as someone you despise. That one person who you absolutely loathe, that you wish would rot. Stand them in front of you, and you won't miss."

Why are you telling this to a kid dumbass?

This tactic always helped my shot though. When I closed my eyes I saw a bag of sand painted with red circles, one bleeding in the middle, when I opened I saw that person. Growing up, I saw my father, now, I see Verena. Sometimes I still see my father though, those are the times I strike the center. I said I didn't like killing, and I didnt...I would never bring myself to kill either of them, I just liked to believe I could.

Beckett nodded, his eyes filling with anger, a fire fuming under his skin. I wondered who he saw. By the shot he made when he pulled the trigger again, he must have seen a monster.

"Nice shot kid." I touched his shoulder and smiled.

"Was it good?"

"It can use work, but it's not bad."

Beckett smiled at me, then peered back at the gun, twisting it over to admire it once more. As his wrist twisted I caught a glimpse of black and blue inked lines carved into his flesh. It made my stomach turn. His barcode.

I turned over my own wrist, seeing the faded lines of scarred tissue where my own code had once been. I was sick of seeing the ink, 2175 screaming at me whenever I caught a glimpse.

So a few months after I escaped Detra, I took a knife to my skin and carefully cut the thin layer of flesh that the tattoo sinked into off my body. It wasn't a part of me, and I needed to make that official. I enjoyed the pain I felt from it too. It burned, but it was a satisfying sting. Theo scolded me after I carved out the ink, saying if I had cut any deeper I could have bleed out and killed myself. He said I was being ignorant, but I thought I was being reasonable.

"Dominic!" A frantic voice that ran through the win, sung behind me. It was Lani. She was rushing my way, a look of panic in her eyes.

"Lani? What's wrong?"

She caught up to me and panted trying to neutralize her breath, "There's troopers in the area."

"Where?" I said in a serious tone, though inside my thoughts were spiking with worry. Of course.

"In the woods. A few Rogues were out on a hunt, said they spotted a whole array of troopers lurking around."

They were looking for us. More so, looking for Evelyn. I turned to Beckett, "Go back to the Immunes, stay with the group. Lani, sound the emergency bells and gather the fighters." I marched over to the rack of weapons and grabbed two long rifles off the shelves, tossing one to Lani as I continued forwards, her catching up to my side. "We need to push them back."

Lani nodded and headed the other direction to the bell tower. I looked over my shoulder at Beckett, making sure he was heading back to the other Immunes. He was. I felt awful for leaving him, but I had no time to walk him back. I trusted him too, I felt he wouldnt disobey me.

The bells sounded, an echoing ring that chimed only in areas the Rogues could hear. The fighters erupted from their places, making their way to the front gates. We were going to attack.

Kylers tall body emerged from the edge of my view. He strided in the distance. the area from the abandoned city. Why was he there? It was odd of him, usually he was in the library or something. Though when I saw the person who followed him out, I understood.

Evelyn called out to him, but he kept walking forward in a panic. I balled my fists and inhaled a breath. Don't let it bother you Dom. Who the hell was I kidding, of course it bothered me. I needed to shake it off. It wasn't important.

Just keep walking. I stuck my gaze straight, and continued forwards. What were they doing back there alone? Were they--no. That was something Verena would do. Oh no. That was something Verena would do.

Stop thinking like that! I yelled in my head. She wasn't like Verena. Theo saw goodness in her, so I did too. What bothered me the most at the moment, was that she was out of bed. She needed to rest, and I deliberately asked her not to get up. It was Evelyn though, what did I expect.

"Dominic?" A panicked voice sounded next to me. Her desire was timid, a pleading cry. It was cruel of her to do this to me. "Whats happening?" She spoke.

I kept my indigent leer steady in front of me, "There were troopers spotted in the woods."

"Why are they here?"

Because they're looking for you.

"They're unhappy about the stunt we pulled at The Chamber. They probably want their prisoners back."

"Oh." her tremulous voice shook nervously, "I thought maybe it was because..." She paused, "...because of me."

"I--" I wanted to say something to relive her thoughts, but I couldn't bear to strangle words. I would have liked her to believe she wasn't on the hunt, but even she knew Detra would be searching for their weapon.

"They are." she said, "They are looking for me Dominic."

"You don't know that." I shook my head. How I wished it weren't true. Detra couldn't give a shit about the Immunes, the real thing they wanted was standing right beside me, her eyes painted with frustration.

"Let me go with you." She demanded. Was she crazy? Did she really think I would let her come fight troopers after what just happened? Hell no.

"No." I said without a single second thought.

"I took them out at the Chamber, I can take them out again. I'm coming." Her voice was as stiff as stone.

"No you're not."

"I can do it though, I can take them. I know you don't want me using my power but I can help you guys with it! If you would just let me--"

"God damnet Evelyn you're not going!" I turned my head, my glare meeting her gaze.

She held her breath, appalled at the angry tone of my strident voice. Theos words were all I could think of. Protect her Dominic. The last thing I wanted was to shout at her, but if shouting was what it took to keep her from coming with me, then I would scream.

"But I--"

"--I'm not asking you Evelyn. That's an order."

She folded her arms, a look of vexation in her hazel eyes. Why the hell would you say that?

She pursed her lips, a slight furrow between her brows as she stared sharply at me with an icy coldness "You don't get to order me to do anything."

Of course I couldn't order her to do anything. I didn't own her, she wasn't mine. I was just trying to save her, help her goddamnit. I wished she could see that. Why must she be so difficult?

"Evelyn please." I tiredly exhaled, running my fingers through my hair in exhaustion, "for me."

"For you?" She lifted her brow in dismay, she didn't seem impressed. If only she could read my thoughts. Yes for me. So I can fight for you at peace knowing you're safe here. So I don't almost lose you again.

"You're not coming Evelyn. Why must you argue?"

"Because I want to help. I got us in this, I'm going to get us out."

I got us into this. I let you into The Chamber.

I heaved in a breath. I thought if I didn't calm myself soon I might just snap. But Evelyn didn't reason with anger, so I would give her anything but. I would plead.

"Evelyn, I don't ask much of you , and I will never ask of anything again. But all I ask of right now is that you stay here. Please." I halted my stride and grabbed Evelyn's shoulder, turning her body so her face was inches from mine. Her eyes beseeched me, her soft features blushed by the slight cold wind, carrying the loose stands of her dark hair. She was so beautiful. The longer I looked the more I desired her. The more I yearned to press her lips against mine again. What I do for that medication of a feeling right now. I couldn't, not now. All I needed now, was for her to listen to me, that would satisfy me just enough. " Promise me you'll stay here."

Her eyes traveled up my body as she inhaled sharply, her gaze meeting the depth of my plea. She had never seen me like this. I've never felt like this to begin with. But when she nodded her head and quietly spoke the words, "Okay, I'll stay", It felt like a weight was lifted off my chest. That was all I needed to hear from her.

I nodded, exhaling my breath in relief, "I need to go."

My hand lifted from her shoulder, my warmth leaving her body, departing me with nothing but a shutter of the thought, and I continued my march to the gate. As I was leaving, I heard her mumble something under her breath, but I could quite make out what she said. All I heard was the word you. I need you? I hate you? I loathe you? I want you? It didn't matter. I needed to focus, the troopers were nearing our grounds. We couldn't let them discover us.

A group of Rogues lined stifily at the gates, each with a weapon of their choice in hand. Rakes,guns, knives in hand. Everyone knew their strengths with their own artillery. Though the troopers were strong, my Rogues were stronger. The soldiers were a spark and The Rogues were an ethereal flame. Our training has prepared us for fights like these, for bastards like the troopers. Celeste came to my side, Kyler beside her.

"What took you so long?"

"I needed to talk with someone." I said. Celeste didn't even care to question me. She knew.

I walked in front of my fighters, each had a look of vengeance in their eye. A look that I trained them to flick on before a battle. That spark of vengeance came in handy in moments like these, Rogues remained unafraid, unfazed. If we died out there, we died for a cause.

Light the flame. Burn them to ashes. Was our battle motto given by Theo.

I never knew why he said it so much, or even where he got it from, but it always stuck with me. It stuck with all of us. It kept us going through the darkest times, and gave us hope when it felt like there was no more hope left.

"Alright fighters." I stood tall in front of them, Cel by my side. "We need to push them back, they can't get far enough to reach here. We fight until they surrender or are all dead."

"Light the flame, burn them to ashes." Celeste said, her voice overpowering mine.

"Lets go get those bastards. Show those assholes whose land this really is."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...